Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

I have a jar of DAP Fast 'N Final Lightweight Spackling that dried up. Can it be revived?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-14T14:21:07+0000  by EG EG

Hello EG!

Once dried, most spackles cannot be revived to the point of proper application and use.

The time and cost involved also makes this impractical.

Posted 2013-05-14T14:33:54+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I rarely bought the larger containers of spackling compounds for exactly this reason - they dry out and go bad. Only buy the container which you will use up in a reasonable amount of time. However, you can extend its life if you smooth the surface of the compound after using it  and then force a little Saran Wrap down onto the surface. This will keep the air from drying it out so rapidly.

Having spent my contracting years in Chicago, with its cold winters, I  seldom used the pre-mixed spackling compounds, as they would freeze in the truck over night. Once frozen, they are useless. For this reason, I used "hot mud" drywall compound as my primary spackling compound. I kept it in a covered two gallon bucket and mixed it as I needed it.

Hot Muds are available at Home Depot in convenient 5 pound boxes in either the 5 or 20 minute setting versions. They are normally found with the other drwall materials.

Posted 2013-05-15T00:44:42+0000  by ordjen

Thanks for the tips and advice.  I have only a small job to do so will have to can the jar I have, but now know to just get a smaller one. I will try the saran wrap trick. But I do have a couple of larger holes to fix so will likely need the drywall compound for those.

Posted 2013-05-15T01:26:21+0000  by EG

Thanks EG!

We often get similar questions about caulk.

When the tip dries inside, it often creates an air-tight seal on the tube.

In this case, you might actually get some additional use out of the product by clearing the tip.

However, when most paint products appear very thick and lose their flexibility, they are likely beyond recovery.

Posted 2013-05-16T15:55:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks -- I'll get smaller jar next shopping trip.

Posted 2013-05-18T01:24:05+0000  by EG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+