Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

I have an older wood home that needs to be painted. Do I need to use a primer coat first?

Also, the home currently has a very dark color trim that I want to paint white.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-22T15:07:31+0000  by molly8991 molly8991

Welcome to our community Molly8991!

Thank you for your questions!

Let's first discuss painting the body of your home.

Here are some questions for you:

- Will you be painting it a similar color or will there be a drastic color change?

-What sheen (flat, satin, semi-gloss, high gloss) is the house paint currently?

If you are not making a drastic color change, and it is a flat finish, you don’t have to apply a primer. If the paint is anything but flat, you will want to either do a coat of primer and then paint or you can apply a paint and primer in one. If you are making a drastic color change, I would highly recommend applying a paint and primer in one or a coat of primer and a few coats of paint, no matter what the sheen is on the house.

Now, let’s discuss your trim.  Since going from a dark color to white is a drastic color change you will definitely want to either use a paint and primer in one or apply paint and primer separately.

The two exterior paint and primer paints that we carry in our stores are Behr Ultra and Behr Marquee. Both of these products are wonderful and will work well for your project. Behr Marquee is a new addition to our product line. Behr has taken their original paint and primer and made it even better. Marquee has even better dirt resistance, fade resistance and hide. The big added bonus is that it is rain ready in 1 hour!

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-06-24T17:53:31+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+