Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

I have heard that vinyl tile cannot be installed in places that are not heated in the winter. Is that true? Also, I have heard that a "floating" floor may work. Is that true?

I have heard that vinyl tile cannot be installed in places that are not heated in the winter.  Is that tru
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-07-28T00:29:03+0000  by milt milt

Hey milt,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Any vinyl based floor, whether it sticks down to the subfloor directly or a floating plank system, MUST be installed in room temperature AND be kept after installation as well.

So if the room isn't going to be heated, plank (floating) vinyl floors won't work. Some, but not all, peel and stick vinyl tiles can be installed in non-climate controlled rooms. No matter what choice you use, you will need to see the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation. 

If you install vinyl flooring not rated for cold winter non-climate controlled rooms, then it most likely will fail and would void any warranty you've had on it. 

Personally, you can choose much more durable flooring option, like porcelain tile. While the install costs are somewhat more expensive vs. vinyl...but it can and will work, as well as last longer.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-07-29T15:47:28+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+