Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

I have paint streaks

This was my first time painting. My walls were originally white, and I wanted to go with a deep red color. It's Behr Daredevil with a satin finish.

I painted one wall and waited about three hours before another coat, but it looked streaky! I read online that maybe I didn't stir it enough when I first applied it

I'm going to wait until morning to see how it looks completely dry, but if it still looks the same, what can I do? I'd hate to have to primer it and redo everything! I spent a lot of money on the paint

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-04T04:13:52+0000  by SVfan4evr SVfan4evr

Hello SVfan4evr!

What you've experienced is exactly what is expected when you recoat deep colors too fast.

Universal tints, by their composition, act like thinning agents when added to the binders in a paint can.

Because there may be twelve to sixteen fluid ounces of tint, deep colors like Daredevil are thinner and require additional dry time per coat ... six or more hours per coat.

When you recoat these thin paints too quickly (in your case three hours) the second coat re-wets the first and the first coat streaks.

Now that you've waited overnight, your paint should have dried sufficiently to recoat without re-wetting. As you begin applying paint, watch carefully and stop immediately if you see the previous coat streaking ... allow additional dry time and start again.

NOTE: Try to keep your roller cover saturated with paint while applying the next coat. Fill an area of the wall as wide as your body with paint from ceiling to floor. Before moving over and without going back to the tray to reload your roller, roll over the paint you just applied using one continuous stoke from ceiling to floor without picking up your roller. These are called smoothing strokes. They even the coat and help cover imperfections. Continue around the room, moving over the width of your body, filling the wall in front of you with paint and using smoothing strokes to even the coat. When done allow the coat to dry at least six hours. Then inspect to determine if one more coat will be necessary.

The combination of additional dry time for dark colors and smoothing strokes will improve your coverage, help prevent streaking, and ultimately allow you to finish the project in fewer coats ... though deep colors may still take more than two coats.

Posted 2012-07-05T12:46:38+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

PatinPaint,

You are right on with your analyses of the streaking phenomenon. I have often wished that Behr would be more specific on their label instructions. Rather than a generic 2 or 4 hour recoat time, better would be a statement to wait an hour for every ounce of tint which has been added to the paint. Were such advice followed, most of these complaints would not occur.

Unfortunately, time constraints often prohibit providing such personalized instruction when all hell is breaking loose on a busy week-end day at the paint counter. Unfortunately, from the point of personal job satisfaction, it is helping the customer that gives the greatest satisfaction. Oh that we always could!

Posted 2012-07-06T00:14:21+0000  by ordjen

Thanks Ordjen!

You're so right!

An hour per ounce is technically correct and that phrase does cross the desk at The Paint Pit ... particularly with customers who are attentive to detail.

As you've probably noticed, my posts commonly use visuals or are written with visual references.

I find that most of my customers (DIY about 85 percent) understand and follow instructions better if I turn the can around and point to the label while reading the dry-time and showing them the icon.

These icons may be the best thing our paint manufacturers have done for our DIY customers.

I find that they'll actually go back and look at the label (where I pointed) to verify the instructions ... though I still have a very small number who launch into their projects without any reference to the manufacturer's instructions.

Most commonly, when I hear the phrase "Can't I ..." my dialogue turns to the research and development time our manufacturers devoted to "ensure your success with their product."

Again, you are so right ... following instruction would eliminate most problems encountered during paint application.

Thanks for (all of) your input!!!

Posted 2012-07-10T14:44:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+