Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

I have shelves in my wall, they are my wall. How do I get rid of them?

I have shelves in my wall, they are my wall. I don't want them, should I insulate the holes between the shelves and plywood over that so it becomes a flat wall or is that not safe or something? HELP!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T02:33:36+0000  by Skyra Skyra

These are some of the shelves, they are literally IN the wall!wall.jpg

Posted 2014-01-14T02:41:40+0000  by Skyra

Skyre,

You should remove the existing shelf cabinet. When the studs are exposed, fasten wooden cleats to them 1/2 inch recessed from the surface of the existing wall. Use common drywall screws to fasten them. The cleats can be made from simple 1 x 2 furring strips. Cut 1/2 drywall to the opening size and screw it to the cleats which you attached, using drywall screws. Apply self-adhesive fiberglas drywall tape around the perimeter of the patch. Apply several coats of drywall coumpound, feathered out several inches on both sides of the tape. Sand with a sanding block using 120 grit paper. When smooth and blended into the surrounding wall surface,  prime and paint.

If it is not an exterior cold wall, it is not neccessary to insulate the cavity.

The above  patching method will work whether the existing wall is drywall or plaster.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2014-01-14T03:04:52+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+