Sign In to join the community | Help

I have walls that are tongue & groove,I need to paint over this what do I need to do?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-14T13:23:46+0000  by chevydad87 chevydad87

Welcome to our community Chevydad87!


Thank you for your question! To paint your wall, you will use a primer first and then paint it in whichever sheen and brand you would like.


Since you have grooves, you will want you use a thicker nap roller than one you would use for drywall. I would recommend a 1/2" if the grooves aren't too deep and 3/4" if they are pretty deep. The reason for the different naps is to ensure that the paint gets all the way in to the grooves.


If you have any more questions, please let us know!


Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-08-14T14:28:51+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Assuming the wood is reasonably smooth, I might suggest painting the grooves with a brush and using a roller with a 3/8" nap for the surface.  I'd think the heavier nap would leave a textured surface.


I'd also suggest using a high quality stain blocking primer, especially if the wood is cedar or pine because the oils in the wood can bleed through paint.

Posted 2013-08-14T14:57:55+0000  by Adam444


I absolutely agree with Adam44. The grooves should be back brushed. A 3/4 nap roller would leave way too much paint on the wall. Personally, I would be back brushing the entire surface, as the "dipple" texture left by rollers is not particularly attactive on the smooth, somewhat formal look of tongue and groove boards.


If the grooves are farely deep, it is also possible to turn the roller on edge and slide it down the groove. This will rapidly get about 90 percent coverage of the groove , which the back brushing will finish. Back brushing actually does not take much time, as the paint was applied with the roller. You are merely knocking down the texture.

Posted 2013-08-14T15:53:52+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question