Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

I have white powdery substance in my dirt about 1 inch to 4 inch down in my dirt.

Can you help me?  I found white powdery substance (I think mold) in my dirt when digging in my grass.  I also found it on the east side of my tree when planting flowers around my tree.  I noticed on the west side of my tree is growing good but the east side of my tree is slowly budding out.  Also the tips of the branches look black.  Can you help me?  Am I going to loose my tree or can I get rid of this mold and save my tree? This is the second spring for the tree.  It has been growing real good and fast up till now.  Thank you
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-28T15:01:01+0000  by Deeleejay Deeleejay

Howdy Deeleejay,

First I’d like to welcome you to the Home Depot Community where we exchange ideas, information, and opinions dealing with your home. The bad news is it seems you have a “humongous fungus among us”.  The good news is there is something you can do about it and it’s called a “fungicide”.

I recommend using Scotts Lawn Fungus control. This will keep the fungus from spreading and with a few monthly applications your problem should be cured.

The big picture is finding out what caused it. Sometimes soil that is compact will not allow water to properly drain and this will lead to a fungus developing. The most common reason I find is the practice of watering at night or too often. Most lawns only need water 2-3 times a week.

If none of this applies to your lawn, perhaps we can look at other reasons,

Happy Gardening,

Coach Dave

Posted 2015-03-31T00:30:30+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+