Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

I just would like any suggestions on how redo my stairs in my home?

I am trying to replace the carpeting that is on my stairwell in my home and I am not sure whether to put down peel and stick tile, wood flooring or ceramic tiling. Anyone have any ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-27T20:38:24+0000  by slbettiboop slbettiboop

Hi Slbettiboop,

Peal and stick tile is not a good option as the constant traffic will cause the adhesive to fail and it will come off.

Ceramic tile is a better choice, I would recommend using epoxy grout as an extra measure to assure it's longevity.

Tile will require a lot of cuts and fitting to install.

Wood flooring or laminate flooring is in my mind the best choice, it is very durable and will not lift off the steps

however it is almost as labor intensive as ceramic tile to install.

Mike,

Posted 2014-01-30T19:50:49+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hello slbettiboop and welcome to the Community.

You have many material options available to give your stairs a refreshed appearance.  Without knowing what is under the carpet I am going to give some chooses to you.

First there are a couple of wood look products that fit over the existing tread and risers that come in a wide variety of colors.  Click on this link to see Cap-A-Tread and Simple Tread products.  Open up (view full product details) to see installation guide and options, like treads with right or left returns. also if you click the box with arrow you will see a video about installation.

ca64a4a8-263e-45c4-8be7-b8ffa73cc437_65.jpg         31701cf0-ad64-4d90-92b8-1eced7970382_65.jpg

If the wood underneath is in good shape but you want to add some color or accent you can install something like NatcoKurdamir dense pile yarn strair tread or runner.

00c5a210-1073-4c87-847e-62c23330f7e4_65.jpg

to see all the vinyl choses click here vinyl tile. keep in mind that you will need or metal stair edging.

dd0be1ce-fe7b-449b-9917-df9d2898c5cc_65.jpg     7fcb7a58-2463-427e-83a3-5e1eb978e4ca_65.jpg

Ceramic tile is also an option depending on condition of stairs below carpet.

If you would like to send me more details about location of stairs in the house and their conditions I may be able to give you more alternatives.

Charlotte

______________________________________________________________________________________

I am a Home Depot Associate trained and authorized to help people on the internet.

Posted 2014-01-30T21:07:30+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

rainbow stairs.png

Greetings slbettboop!

You have taken the right step!

If it is suggestions you want for refreshing your stairs, the Home Depot Community is place to get them!

Both Mike and Char have given you brilliant suggestions and options, but of course I have one too!

How about paint?

stairs 2.png

Once you have removed the carpet, and find out what condition the steps are in, you will have a better understanding of what kind of application, or covering is needed.  You may have many nail holes, or adhesives that need to be just covered up by new carpet or treds like Char suggested.

Painting stairs is definitely a New England, Cape Cod thing! We are a bit frugal here in the North East, and paint is a quick, easy fix.

On the Cape painted interior stairs are everywhere. Cottages most times, are weekly rentals, it is much easier to sweep and paint steps seasonally rather than worry about cleaning or replacing carpet.

Painting stairs can be as simple as all one color, or dramatic... by adding as much detail, and colors that you want!

Painted stairs 1.png

So just add this to your suggestion box!  We would love to hear back from you, show us some pictures of your progress with your project!

Posted 2014-02-04T15:48:54+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Greetings once again slbettboop,

I had one more thought on painted stairs. If it is an entryway stairwell that you will be climbing with wet feet from the elements, or your garden, you may want to add traction strips to the steps.

Traction strips will make for sure footing with wet shoes!

traction strips.pngjust a thought!

Posted 2014-02-04T19:29:37+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+