Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

I used Behr deck over in russet and a white substance appeared the next day will it go away

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-30T15:48:17+0000  by rickpalumbo rickpalumbo

After the dew dried the deck had a white milky appearence and showed some footprints in this milky substance where I had walked the deck with dew on it ? Has any one else had this happen? will it go away I didn't try to clean it yet.

Posted 2013-10-30T15:59:06+0000  by rickpalumbo

Welcome to our community RickPalumbo!

Thank you for your question! I'm sorry that this has happened to you. I called Behr to see what they would recommend. They said that this is happening because of access moisture on the surface. To get rid of it, use a mild detergent, such as Dawn and it will come off. :)

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-10-30T18:04:09+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

rickpalumbe,

You have probably experienced "surfactant leeching". Acrylic paints, which DeckOver is a version of, contain water soluble surfactants which are put there to control certain characteristics of how the paint acts. Unfortuantely, under certain environments , such as heavy dew, these compounds can migrate to the surface. In dark colors, this is often exhibited as a white film. Fortunately, l they are water soluble and as such can be cleaned with a little soap and water, As Christine has stated in the above post.

If you are interested in how to avoid this in the future, you might read this article: www.dalyspaint.com/surfactant_leaching.html

Just ruminations of an ol' paint contractor and paint junkie  :)

Posted 2013-10-31T04:19:08+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+