Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

"I want metal siding that WILL rust!"

Hi, How-tosians. 

Here's a how-to question that kind of runs the opposite direction from what we normally see... a reader wants to install metal siding that will rust. Yes, WILL rust.

The question came to us on a very popular article on the Arpon blog about the cool and unusual ways you can use corrugated metal

Reader Ned McDonald writes,"I want to make an exterior garden fence using corrugated, metal siding that will rust. Where can I purchase metal siding that will rust!"

Ned is probably looking for a rustic, weathered look for his garden fence. Or perhaps he's doing research on metal oxidation. I'm not sure. But in any event, what's the advice to give him?

Is there a suitable sheet metal that he could use that would rust? I know there are ways to wash corrugated metal to eliminate the shiney finish it has before it has had time to weather, but is there a way to cause normal corrugated metal to rust? 

I can't wait to see what you guys and gals come up with.

Thanks!

-Craig, from the Apron blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-20T15:33:26+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

There is such a steel product made. It is Core-Ten steel and has been around for at least 30 years. Many bridges, buildings and pieces of art have been made of it. The Picasso staue in downtown Chicago is made of it. I don't know if it is available in a corrugated configuration or not. You will have to pursue that with a metal supplier. It is certainly available as flat sheet. I have seen artists using it to lazer cut designs for fences, etc.

Another possiblity is a paint that turns to rust. Such a paint can be found at www.modernmaster.com. Click on "Metal Effects", then  "Iron Reactive Paints"

This is a paint which is applied and then turns rusty in short order. The company also makes copper and bronze finishes which can then can be treated with reactive chemicals to give them that green patina often seen on statues.

I unfortunately do not have personal experience with these products, but have used other products from this company with good success.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

Posted 2013-02-20T20:50:54+0000  by ordjen

OOPS!   Bad link above. It is:  www.modernmasters.com  Click on: Products > Metal Effects > Iron Reactive Paints

Posted 2013-02-20T20:56:04+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+