Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

I want to cut an 8 foot Hampton Bay track down to 6 feet

The instructions say it can be done. The end caps are easy tp remove, but the insulators in the track and the copper contacts, both of which the instructions state should be moved about 3/8 out of the way when the track is cut using a hacksaw, then carefully repositioned, do NOT move at all, They are rigidly fixed somehow in the track. What am I missing? Is there some special technique used to slide the insulators and the copper contacts back and forth?

It looks to me like it isn't even reall necessary to do this; the insulators and contacts already pretty much come to teh end of the track, and the plastic end caps should provide adequate insulation. Are these OLD instructions maybe, that no longer apply, or do I have defective track?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-28T23:59:39+0000  by ganesa_9 ganesa_9

Hey ganesa_9,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Did you make sure that when you cut the track that it was done squarely? Using a mitre box and/or clamping the track down will guarantee you an accurate cut. Also, while it doesn't say it in the instructions, did you use a file to deburr the edge caused by the hacksaw?

If you did, then your track should be operating fine. If you didn't, and didn't use a metal cutting hacksaw blade, could create a break in the contacts in the track.

Try the items mentioned above, or update me on your progress for cutting down your track.

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-02T19:41:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi Joseph_HD-ATL,

With all do respect, I'm not sure that was what ganesa_9 was asking.  The question was how to move the insulators to cut the track.  I am also looking to cut a smaller track.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Posted 2013-10-13T15:05:16+0000  by tamtice

Not certain how the copper contact and plastic insulator ARE secured in the metal track, but I did find that after cutting the track at any end (using a hacksaw) that the insulator and contacts all move freely. Once they did come loose I was able to cut them to make allowances for the plastic end cap, so it all worked out in the end. I suspect the instructions are just not as 'complete' as they could be. Maybe a note should be inserted stating that only after the initial cut is made can the insulator and contacts be positioned for further cutting and then repositioned.

Posted 2013-10-14T11:23:18+0000  by ganesa_9

Hey again ganesa_9,

Thank you for updating us on your progress of your track. When I cut mine, it was a more than a few years ago, so I didn't remember the contacts and insulators causing an issue.

Now armed with this information, I'll be sure to add this is in when I am speaking to my customers regarding cutting the track down shorter.

Thanks again, and please let us know if you have any further questions or comments.

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-16T11:13:10+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+