Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

I want to put a new ceiling in my motor home what can I use

hi i would like to put a new ceiling in my motor home ,what kind of supplies would i need

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-27T04:53:36+0000  by beetlebaby61 beetlebaby61

Hey beetlebaby61,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!

I'd say the first thing to check would be to see what material your existing ceiling is now.

If there is a certain reason why your ceiling needs to be replaced, let us know.

If you could post a image of what you need to fix, or if you can describe extensively how or why you need to replace the ceiling.

Once you do that, we can assist you further with a solution.

Cheers,
Joseph
Posted 2014-04-19T17:42:58+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hello beetlebaby61!

Motor home ceilings are most often made with four components:
1) A sheet metal outer skin;
2) Struts from side-to-side will support the sheet metal;
3) A layer of insulation; and
4) A cloth or plastic headliner.

The process for replacing these components depends largely on which are damaged.

Sheet metal can be marked and cut, using the edges of the replacement piece as a guide.

Tack welds will hold the new sheet metal in place and the seams can then be welded and ground smooth for primer and paint.

It struts are damaged, make or purchase replacement struts and attach before welding the new sheet metal outer skin.

NOTE:
Anything that requires a weld will generate significant heat.

So remove both the insulation and headliner before beginning this repair.

Once satisfied with the sheet metal repair, install insulation and replace the headliner.

Suitable replacements for both headliner and insulation should be available through your local motor home dealer.

FINALLY:
DIY projects fall along a grand scale from very easy to very difficult.

The cosmetic requirements of this repair make it very difficult for those who do not cut, weld, and refinish sheet metal regularly.

Measure the value of cosmetic perfection versus the cost of service from a local dealer before deciding to DIY.

Posted 2014-07-01T22:11:51+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+