Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

I would like to install a light fixture in my living room but where I live there isn't any place

I live in the castle hill projects. I need a light fixture in my living room but there isn't a place in my ceiling to install one. What kind of lighting should I buy?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-19T04:27:18+0000  by ary ary

Are there any wall switches?  Some times there is a half switched receptacle.

Posted 2014-01-19T11:58:57+0000  by Jonson

If you want a ceiling fixture, you'd have to get power to the ceiling and down to a switch somewhere on the wall.  How easy that is to do is a function of the design of your home.  If you live in a multi-family dwelling (e.g., apartment, condo) the law generally requires that a licensed electrician do the work.


As the other poster mentioned, rooms without overhead lighting often have a receptacle (or half the receptacle) that's controlled with a wall switch.  Are there any switches in the room that don't appear to do anything?  If so, turn the switch off and go around with a lamp plugging it into the top and bottom of each receptacle in the room.  When it doesn't light, turn on the switch and see what happens.


Another option is to use some kind of remote control.  You've seen the TV ads for the "Clapper" (clap on, clap off).  There are a bunch of devices like that.  They're generally a small box that plugs in between the wall receptacle and the lamp.  There are even remotes designed to mount on the wall and look like a regular wall switch.


Hope this helps!

Posted 2014-01-19T12:53:43+0000  by Adam444

No there isn't any wall switches 

Posted 2014-01-19T21:13:27+0000  by ary

Well then you may be better off with a wireless device to control a lamp.

Posted 2014-01-19T21:36:55+0000  by Jonson

Which do you recommend?

Posted 2014-01-19T21:54:09+0000  by ary

I don't know.

Go to the store and check em out.

Purchase one that suits your needs.

Posted 2014-01-19T22:45:57+0000  by Jonson

Thank you. I'll check on that


Posted 2014-01-19T22:52:31+0000  by ary

Hey ary,


Thanks for your question and welcome!


Just as the other posters stated, you can use a fixture that is wireless. If you have outlets, you can simply plug in a floor lamp to get the correct lighting. You most likely will need more than one in the living room in order for you to get better lighting.


Choose a floor lamp that has more than one socket and one that points downward. This is especially good for reading or direct chair lighting.


71 in. Antique Bronze Floor Lamp66 in. Satin Nickel Floor Lamp64-1/2 in. Floor Lamp70 in. Antique Bronze Track Tree Floor Lamp

Design Trends 67.5 in. Contemporary Black Adjustable Floor Lamp71 in. Black Floor Lamp67 in. 5-Arm Stainless Steel Floor LampPom Pom 68 in Satin Steel Floor Lamp


As for a wireless system, we do carry Wemo by Belkin that works via your smartphone to turn devices on and off. Any lamp should have a on/off switch.

Belkin WeMo Switch Features

While this or any other wireless switch is nice, you still need an outlet or source to power the light. You didn't say if you had receptacle outlets in the room, but if you do not, you can run an extension cord to where you want the lamp(s) to be.


Make sure to tuck and position the cords so they don't cause a trip hazard for anyone.


Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding your lights, and I'll be happy to answer it for you.




Posted 2014-01-22T19:22:27+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL



I like the Belkin app that turns on the coffee maker but what it really needs to do is put coffee grounds and water in the coffee maker too. :smileyvery-happy:

Posted 2014-01-23T03:25:23+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question