Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

I would like to make a headboard for my cali king bed

I was trying to make a headboard for my bed that would be fairly cheap. I have one in mind and I was wondering if you could help me figure out what I might need and what kind of wood would be best?HEADBOARD.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-03T03:34:35+0000  by coreygroves coreygroves

Hello Coreygroves!

I have drawn up a diagram to help illustrate how I would do this headboard. I was working off the picture you attached and the standard width of a California King bed which is 72".

Headboard diagram

I would recommend using 7 pieces of 1 x 4 white wood for the headboard and cut them at different lengths to achieve the look in the picture.

The 2 x 4 are the legs/braces. The length of the 2 x 4 depend on a few things. You will need to measure from the floor to the top of the mattress first. Then, add 24- 1/2". The 24- 1/2" is the height of seven 1 x 4 stacked and mounted horizontally face out.

Once everything is cut, lay out the headboard like the above picture. You are going to screw the 2 x 4 into the 1 x 4 from the back using 2" wood screws. If you would like to paint or stain the wood, you will want to do that now. Disassemble then stain or paint each piece separately. You will want to disassemble the headboard to ensure that the color is consistent.   

Once everything is put back together, add rope lights from behind as well. Depending on the length of the rope lights, you may need more than one set. Attach them with the hardware that is included with the lights or if need be wire staples.

Lastly, attach the headboard to the wall with 2 ½ ”screws and drywall anchors.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine  :)

Posted 2013-05-06T21:18:25+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+