Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Illumination for doll display

I need to install lighting for my doll collection diorama in a 5 level all glass (including shelves) commercial type display case. I need lights that will not fade or otherwise damage my dolls and am considering mounting rope lights above & then on the bottom of the glass shelves to illuminate the next level. Would this type of light be adequate & would these do any damage?

Also can rope lights be shortened? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-23T00:31:52+0000  by SandyK SandyK

Hi Sandy,

Lighting any display case with delicate items can be a real challenge.

Any light shined directly on items will cause fading and deterioration.  The next time you visit a museum take a look at their lighting. Usually it is dim and non-directional.

In other words the light is not shined directly on any item but bounced off a wall or ceiling to minimize the lights effect on the artifacts

In the case of your display cases, I would not use any lighting inside the case to minimize the heat and direct radiation of light directly on the dolls.

Considerer wall sconces, track lights or can lighting in the ceiling. These can be used to bounce light off the walls to illuminate the case without shining light directly on the dolls.

Stop by your local Home Depot, the electrical associates can show the options available and offer some additional suggestions for your lighting needs.

I hope this information is useful to you

Mike, 

Posted 2012-04-23T19:52:41+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+