Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

I'm trying to put a bifold door back on track. It has come entirely off top and bottom

Bifold door has come off the track - one side.   hardware is still intact but I can't figure out how to put the door back on the track.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-28T14:16:44+0000  by mwhelley mwhelley

This can be frustrating!:smileyfrustrated: ...I know.

There is a part that sticks out of the top of the door that goes into the track that runs above the doors. 

Bi-fold.jpg

Try holding down the part while moving the door to line up the wheel just under the track. Release the wheel and allow it to snap up into the track. You may need to fold the door out and find the perfect location to achieve this.

If that  doesn't work - then you can gently lift up on the door (closest to the frame) and tilt it so that the opposite side slants down enough to get that wheel in the track.  I know it all sounds confusing but once you start experimenting with it you should have the problem solved fairly quickly.

Posted 2013-04-28T18:51:21+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

The part that goes into the upper track on my bi-fold door doesn't move up and down.  Now what?

Posted 2013-06-25T21:31:11+0000  by handynot2013
Hello handynot2013,

What you've described is the fixed pin that inserts into the top track and slides when the door opens.

In this image it is noted by the red arrow.

When these break or quit sliding properly, go to the Hardware Department, Door Repair Section.

Purchase a small replacement pack and use pliers to remove the old and replace with the new (in the top on the open end of the bi-fold door).

Once replaced, use a screw driver to loosen the hinged end (black arrow) slightly.

The hinge will slide on the track, allowing the door to tip enough for the replacement fixed pin to slip into the track.

This movement requires a coordinated motion ... loosen hinge, slide slightly until the door tips, slip the fixed pin into the track, slide hinge back into place, and tighten.

NOTE:
The foot of the door below the hinge may have to be adjusted to open and close properly.

With the door folded mostly open, hold the door sides firmly and lift gently to re-position the pin in the foot hinge (orange arrow) until the door opens and closes freely.

This is not the easiest home repair, but it certainly isn't the hardest either.

On a 1-to-10 scale where 10 is most difficult, I would rate this repair a 5.

However, after doing this once, I would rate this repair a 2.5.

Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Posted 2015-08-27T21:51:18+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+