Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

In Southern California can I use vapor barrier in underlayment over plywood subfloor (raised foundation)?

I'm installing laminate wood flooring.  I read that because I am in a mobile home on raised foundation and my subfloor is plywood that a vapor guard will trap moisture in the subfloor and cause it to rot.  I've gone to Home Depot and they recommend an underlayment with vapor barrier.  I'm wondering if the moisture problem even exists here in sunny Southern California? 

What underlayment would you recommend?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-20T14:12:06+0000  by taralynna taralynna

Hello taralynna and welcome to the Community.

Laminate wood flooring is very sensitive to moisture and some manufacturer’s may require moisture barrier to maintain the warranty.  Read the specifications and the installation instructions carefully.  They may have specific directions and requirements.

If you do not have a moisture barrier on the underside of your plywood subfloor and you have proper ventilation under your mobile home, you should not have a problem with riot.

Living in Southern California is a definite plus in this situation.

If you have a specific model of flooring I would be happy to help find instructions or contact information.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-10-20T16:40:42+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+