Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Indoor Peace Lily Care questions....

Newbie to the plant world. I have been wanting to get some peace lilies, but keep putting it off. Im in an apartment, not the greatest lighting, but I have read peace lilies are hard to kill... My following questions that I will PRINT and put on my fridge so I wont put it off any longer because I dont know what to do :)  are:

1. Once purchasing the plant, does one need to re-pot it right away? 

2. When you do re-pot it how much bigger should the pot be in order to welcome any root growth ( If I buy a small 6 inch plant should the pot be how much bigger? And what type of pot is ideal? Looking for affordable, basic.

3. Do I need something to put under the pot to stop any leakage - moisture - dampening of the floor etc under it? Affordable.

4. Organic plant food,  how often should one feed a plant this stuff?

5. How often should one water  a peace lily? And what type of water is best? And how much water?

6. Do they need to be near sunlight during the day aka near windows?

7. Nasa researched and found Peace Lilies are amazing at purifying the air, my question is I have a 800 sq ft apartment, if I wanted to get many peace lilies, do they have to be arranged in a specific order to have a stronger purifying effect ( ie- next to each other) or can they be spread out, put here and there, and it will be fine? Im def going to put two in my bedroom area, but wanted to put them in other places as well. Was curious if anyone knew.

Thanks much.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-03T14:01:51+0000  by Davy333 Davy333

Hi Davy333.

Thank you for your great question.

I will repost each question in the order asked to make it easier to follow.

1.    Once purchasing the plant, does one need to re-pot it right away?

Usually no, but it depends on how long the plant has been in the pot.  If it appears the root system is out growing the pot it is in, go to the next size pot, i.e., if it is in a 6 inch pot, the next size would be an 8 inch to 10 inch pot.

2.    When you do re-pot it how much bigger should the pot be in order to welcome any root growth ( If I buy a small 6 inch plant should the pot be how much bigger? And what type of pot is ideal? Looking for affordable, basic.

Similar to your first question.  You may not have to re-pot your plant.  Spathiphyllum are relatively slow growing indoors, due to the lighting and temperature conditions.  From the 6 inch pot, the next size would be the 8-9 inch pot.  Be sure to use a Potting Soil and NOT a Garden Soil for re-potting your plants.

3.    Do I need something to put under the pot to stop any leakage - moisture - dampening of the floor etc under it? Affordable.

Using a plastic drain plate under the pot is a good idea indoors to avoid damage to your furniture.  Do not let the excess water stay in the drain plate any longer that one day.  If you water your plant in the morning, the water in the drain plate should be gone be the time you retire in the evening. If not pour it out.

4.    Organic plant food,  how often should one feed a plant this stuff?

Always a good idea to follow the directions on the package. For a granular, a good rule of thumb could be once every 2-3 months but do not over fertilize!  A Spathiphyllum could go 6 months without getting fertilized and be just fine.  

5.    How often should one water  a peace lily? And what type of water is best? And how much water?

Watering will depend on what type of environment the plant is in.  Some areas are dryer than others some more humid.  Using the heater or AC can change a humid room into a dryer room due to the lack of humidity in the air.  Best to check you plant frequently so you can get an idea of how fast the moisture evaporates.  

On the West Coast we get a SanTana wind condition that drastically lowers the humidity and dries every out fairly quickly.  A general rule of thumb is to water your Peace Lily weekly, but allow it to dry out slightly between watering.  If the leaves start to droop, it is a sign that the plant needs to be watered. Check the soil.  Lift the pot up.  If it feels light, it probably needs water. Do not over water!  The Peace Lilly is very susceptible to root rot.

6.    Do they need to be near sunlight during the day aka near windows?

Indoor plants like to have bright indirect lighting.  As long as your plant is in an area with reflected light from your windows, you should be ok.  Keep in mind that north or east facing windows will have less reflective light that south or west facing windows, unless you have a building or other structure blocking your light.

7.    Nasa researched and found Peace Lilies are amazing at purifying the air, my question is I have a 800 sq ft apartment, if I wanted to get many peace lilies, do they have to be arranged in a specific order to have a stronger purifying effect ( ie- next to each other) or can they be spread out, put here and there, and it will be fine? Im def going to put two in my bedroom area, but wanted to put them in other places as well. Was curious if anyone knew.

When it comes to air purifying plants, more is better if you are in an area with heavy air pollution.  Keep in mind that the more plants you have, the longer it will take you to care for them. One-two plants in each room would be great, if the lighting is good.  You  can also move the plants around if need be. 

In addition to the Spathiphyllum, other air purifying plants are the: Dracaena, Snake plant (Sansevieria), Aloe Vera, Spider plant, Gerber Daisy, Pothos, Chrysanthemum, Weeping Fig (Indoor Ficus), Azalea, English Ivy, Chinese evergreen, Bamboo palm & the Heart Leaf Philodendron.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2016-02-09T23:10:20+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+