Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Inside Corner Drywall

I am looking for advice on how to repair my cracked/split inside corners of my drywall in my bedroom.  I have repaired in before with mesh tape and joint compound sealing mud.  It has cracked again.  My apartment is an add on building to a duplex.  I think the foundation may be settling or sinking???  My other corner is cracked as well.  I cannot get to the outside of my drywall if I was to put corner beading on it to reinforce it.  What is the best suggestion?  It is my mother's building and she cannot afford to hire any help so I have to do it myself.  Please help. 

Thanks,

Caroline

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-19T23:43:08+0000  by depotgirl68 depotgirl68

Hello Caroline,

Welcome to our community! My name is Christine, and I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

I’m sorry to hear that your inside corners have been cracking on you. You are correct in the foundation settling. But not to worry it is completely normal.

I have done some research for you, and here’s what I have found in my travels.

In order for you to fix the corner you will need the following:

1. Hammer
  2. Dry wall mud
  3. Sanding block
  4. 1 ½"  taping knife
  5. Wet rag
  6. Drywall screws

Around the area that is damaged, take the taping knife and scrape out about a 1” or 2” of the dry wall. You will need to get down to the corner bead.

Now, hammer the corner back together again. You may need to use the drywall screws to keep the corners together.

Apply the mixed mud to the exposed area. Make sure it is level with the rest of the wall. Also be sure you keep your knife clean with the wet rag.

After it's dry use the sanding block, to sand the area smooth. Then prime and paint the area and it’s good to go.

Hopefully this will be a better fix for you.

Let me know how it turns out. 

Christine 

Posted 2010-11-20T19:44:03+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

HELLO ,

I AM WHAT YOU CALL THE RESIDENT MUD PAN , I READ OF YOUR PROBLEM AND I THINK THE LADY @ H.D. MAY HAVE HIT ON YOUR PROBLEM DIFF FROM MY DIAGNOSIS. I SUGGEST THAT IF THE CRACK IS ON INSIDE CORNER THAT YOU SHOULD CUT OUT THE CRACK AND BEVEL THE DRYWALL AS WELL TO ACCEPT AND HOLD THE NEW MUD . CLEAN AREA WELL , (VACCUUM IF POSSIBLE) DAMPEN DRY WALL TAPE IF NEEDED AND USE A DAMP SPONGE TO WIPE CRACK AREA APPLY MUD IN STAGES MEANING IF CRACK REMOVAL REVEALS BIG HOLE , FILL KEEP KNIFE CLEAN , SCRAPE OFF EXCESS , YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT HOURS FOR MUD TO DRY , IF YOU NEED TO BETWEEN APPLICATIONS USE DAMP SPONGE TO REMOVE EXCESS DRY MUD WITH LIGHT UPWARD SWIPES ONLY. YOU WILL FINISH OFF AS DIRECTED . I AM SURE YOU WILL SURPRISE YOURSELF WITH A JOB WELL DONE, REMEMBER TO STIR THE MUD IN THE PAIL BEFORE USING IT,,,,,IMPORTANT FACT...... GOOD LUCK

PA. RESIDENT MUDDER (CTZSR)

Posted 2010-11-20T21:44:41+0000  by CTZSR

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+