Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Install Remodel Recessed Lighting - No Green Wires

I am installing recessed lighting over my kitchen sink and seriously thinking about replacing the light fixtures through the house, but when reading the instructions it says to connect the black-black wires, white-white wires, and green-green wires and my wires are black and white, NO green.  Can I connect without the green wire and just use the wire cover to make sure that the green wire in the recessed lighting kit doesn't touch anything? 

The existing light fixture was connecting with black and white only.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-20T17:51:11+0000  by PORTER2OFUS PORTER2OFUS

Hey PORTER2OFUS,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

The green wire is your ground wire, it only is there to act as a safety in case the ground has been opened (like crossed wires that shouldn't have been crossed or damage).

It sounds like you have a polarized, or 2 wire system in your home. Older houses have this, and you can simply bond or attach the green wire to the metal housing of the housing where the connections are made.

As stated, the green is your ground wire that doesn't conduct electricity as serves as safety wire for the circuit. Since the circuit doesn't have an existing ground, simply attach it to the housing unit, simple as that.

Let me know if you have any addtional questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-29T23:07:01+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+