Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Install Roll Fiberglass Insulation in a Wall with Water Pipes

I had a water leak in the wall of my bedroom that the plumbers came out and cut a hole and fixed the pipes. Now I am in the process of cutting the drywall to remove the water damage and replace the insulation behind it. When removing the drywall I notice the insulation was on the front side of the pipes so I am going to put it on the back side to help to keep them warm. My question is can I or should put insulation on the front side sandwiching the lines in between the fiberglass insulation?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-13T20:34:49+0000  by Noble1 Noble1

Hey Noble1,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Your best bet is to have the insulation installed exactly as it was before, where the tufts of exposed batts can do their job effectively.

You can always add more insulation, but specifically for the pipes, there are insulation pipe wrappings made just for them.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph
Posted 2015-03-14T14:27:44+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
When installing insulation it's important not to compress it.  It's all the little air spaces in the insulation that make it work.

I'm assuming you're using fiberglass batts.  If you have a pipe in the space, it's ok to carefully separate the insulation slipping some of the insulation behind the pipe and remainder in front of it.  The paper face should go towards the living space.

Because fiberglass is so itchy, wear gloves and an old long sleeve shirt!

Posted 2015-03-14T15:37:12+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+