Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Installing LED lights

I am preparing to build my new house.  All my lights will be LED.  Leds run only on DC.  Somewhere between AC power and the light there has to be a rectifier to change AC to DC.  I will run my new lights from Big battery bank.  How do I wire in these LED lights?  The wiring diagram for a light at the store doesn't show anything and store person doesn't know either.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-14T15:34:14+0000  by ww0549 ww0549

Hello ww0549.  Welcome to the Community!

Yes, you are correct that each of the Light Emitting Diodes themselves work off of roughly 3 volts DC.

However, the light bulbs you buy at a store have circuitry inside them that convert normal 120 volt AC power into the proper DC voltage for the diodes to operate properly.  There is a similar issue with CFL bulbs, which also need circuitry inside the bulb base to properly "ignite" and run the fluorescent lamp without any external ballast.  Circuitry for these bulbs can cause issues with dimmer switches, which is why there are special dimmers for these bulbs.  Otherwise, the reason that nothing unusual shows up in any wiring diagram you may find is that these bulbs are intended to be used directly in place of an incandescent bulb.

If you are planning to install a battery system to store power, then I would consider that you plan to also install the AC converter necessary to power your home with standard 120 volt AC power.  This is typically done with a solar powered system used to augment/replace normal grid power.

Chris.

Posted 2016-10-14T16:27:22+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Given that the nearly all homes in America use 120/240v A/C power it's unlikely you're going to find products, instructions, or trained personnel for low voltage lighting in the average big box store.  Rather than getting advice from whomever you happen to find in an aisle at Home Depot, why not consult a licensed electrician or engineer who has experience is this sort of stuff?

As Chris said, my understanding (and it's quite limited) is that energy stored in a battery is typically converted back to 120 volts A/C, rather than being used directly.  That's not to say it couldn't be done but I don't know the details and possible limitations of such a system.

Posted 2016-10-15T10:08:58+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+