Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing Rolled Roofing..

Installing Rolled Roofing... Hi, I am currently replacing roof of an attached shed to a barn. It was shingled, but was in bad shape due to sagging rafters over the years which caused the middle section to eventually rot and leak. I took off the entire roof, installed new support beams. roof is  approx 14x16. that is with overhang of about 12" all around.  I replaced with plywood and put the felt on already with rain drip molding. My idea is to use the rolled roofing. and i have had several people tell me several ways to do this. i purchased the roofing.....  some say not to use the cement or adhesive all over the roof under the rolled roofing, just where it overlaps. say to nail it where overlaps just like shingles and use some cement there also. some say to use cement and spread it with broom/roller all over entire area then lay each row of shingle, etc.... nailing at the overlap.  some say to cut 18" piece for the first row, nail at top and bottom and use adhesive, then put FULL sheet over that just like shingles and use the adhesive all over... I'm so confused now. It's suppose to be easier, not more confusing... isn't there a set rule for this stuff?  Can anyone give any advice which makes "a rule of thumb" for rolled roofing?   its ready to go and i want to get it done before a storm comes.... lol. thanks

deb

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-16T21:24:20+0000  by DebO DebO

I have a friend that is needing some roofing repair I have some expeirience in building and repairing on roofs but theres alot that I need to learn and that is with rolled roofing. i believe the section that needs repaired is 22ft by 12ft the rain had sank in the roof in basically what im asking advice on is the cheapest roll roofing that is durable and installing it ive done regular shingles but i believe roll roofing is differents what should i start out looking 

Posted 2013-04-21T21:16:26+0000  by Tradeleaner

Hi DebO I can feel your pain when you get millions of directions thrown at you which all differ and rjhroofer makes a great point about there being many ways the roofing can be installed and offers some great pointers. I wanted to follow up with some of the ones some of the team here came up with for you.

Take care of the valleys in the roof with 18" strips. Make sure they are in full contact with the roof below or you run the risk of damage if anyone happens to step across them. Lay enough cement for full coverage with the underside and use nails with around a 4" spacing.

Some people prefer to use full strips and some like using 18" strips for the first course on the roof, I leave it up to you. We do agree that whichever size you use for the initial course these practices will come in handy.

1. Have the first course fully laid in cement with an overhang at the eave and rake of around 1/2". 
  2. Next walk across the roofing to make sure it seats completely in the cement.
  3. Coming in about an 1" from the edge place nails staggered with a spacing of 4".
  4. Nails along the top edge can be spaced at as much as 18".

Lay a chalk line to mark the top and bottom of the next course making sure that it overlaps the previous by at least 3". This is the area where you'll lay the cement then repeat the process for the first course. Do this until you reach the ridge of the roof.

When finishing the ridge use a strip of either 12-18 inch roofing running evenly on both sides and fix it in place using the same combination of cement and nails at every 4". This can also be used at the roof hip if any.

Tips:

• Use chalk lines to help define overlap, roofing cement areas, and to generally keep your job straight and clean.
  • Slightly stagger your nails to help prevent splitting the wood beneath. This is especially important at the eaves and rakes.
  • If any vertical seams are produced make sure that the vertical overlap is at least 6".
  • I'm also a personal fan of going back over each nail with a bit of roofing cement caulk.

I hope this helps clears up some confusion for you and if you have any other questions don't hesistate to post.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-07-17T18:33:03+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Visit website:  eHow.com

There are a number of ways that rolled roofing can be installed.

Depending on the climate, region, winds, etc....

Pitch of shed roof plays an important part as well.  Wouldn't want the roofing to slide off.

I have found that putting down a 15# felt with metal edge first helps.

Second, I would solid cement an 18" (1st course), nailed at high side

Then continuing with overlapping courses (2-3") in  cement;

Be sure that each course is rolled into cement solidly, not to cause wrinkles; Buckling will occur if not embedded

Posted 2011-07-17T17:48:27+0000  by rjhroofer

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+