Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing Wire shelves on cinder block wall

Hi, We are going to be installing some of the Closetmaid Close Mesh Shelves in our basement on a cinder wall. I was wondering what the best way is to go about doing that as well as what type of hardware to use. I don't use them much, but I have a regular drill, a hammer drill, and a masonry drill bit set. Thanks for your help. Basically, what's the best stuff to use that will ensure I don't mess it up. That has happened before in my garage.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-09T14:57:57+0000  by kjpayne kjpayne

Hi kjpayne,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  Your two biggest challenges when installing shelving are:

1. To drill the holes straight into the cider block
  2. To make the holes level

You will want to use your masonry bit along with your hammer drill.  The hammer drill makes the drill easier and puts less stress on the masonry bit.  Bob Villa has a great picture of how to keep the drill straight.  Simply, you take a square cut 2X4 block; place that on a level line on the wall you want to drill the hole into.  Let the square cut block be the guide for your drill bit.   Start drilling your hole. 

Drill a straight hole.Bob Villa-homeowner-techniques.jpg

To assure yourself that the rest of the holes will be level, use a laser level to create a straight line before you drill  the other holes. Strait-Line Laser Level

Lazar level-Straight line.jpg

For a cinder block wall, the bit need only need penetrate about 2 inches.  Once the hole has been drilled, be sure to use the lag shields  which are the lead inserts that will go into the hole.  Be sure that they are appropriate for the weight that will be going on the shelves.  

Lag insert.jpg

With addition of the Laser Level, you can assure yourself that the shelves you will installing will be level and by using a simple block of wood, you too can drill a straight  hole!

Be sure to take a video of your project and share it with us in our Project Library under "I Did This".  

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

This has been another of,

Ricks Picks

Posted 2013-05-17T20:41:06+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+