Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing a 36lb 50" TV on an unique wall.

I want to mount my new TV on my wall here, but the wall material is kind of confusing.

Most of this house is concrete, it was rebuilt between 1900-1920 as the original burned down. However the wall that I want to mount on is not-so concrete. The wall in question has a dividing line that looks like the end of another wall that is no longer here (these rooms have had a lot of renovating). On either side of the divider (as I am pretty sure the dividing wall piece is concrete) the wall is cold to the touch and kind of hollow sounding. I drilled a hole into it and it is very powdery. I am guessing it is plaster.

I have not drilled a deep enough hole yet to see if it is hollow inside but I don't see any sort of lathe yet.

My question is, because the TV is rather light, can I get away with Tapcon screws, or should I still look into maybe getting a Toggler for the screws or another type of anchor? I can provide more information I am just currently at work and can't be hands on with it.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-08T01:23:49+0000  by rdbunch rdbunch

Hello Rdbunch,

Welcome to the community.

I would say that if the wall is solid than yes it should be fine to just use the Tapcon screws.

Tapcon Anchor and drill bit.jpg

If the wall is hollow than you should screw into a stud or use an anchor as you mentioned or a combination of the two if the bracket is not wide enough to reach both studs. The Tapcon screws will not have enough to hold onto if the wall is hollow.

Wall Anchors.jpg

**Make sure there is not any electrical running up the wall before you drill for the fasteners.**

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-01-09T23:08:59+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I will drill another test hole and see what I find! I would love if I could just use tapcons, make my life a little easier. I will get back to you today after I do some more testing (at another house at the moment).

Posted 2013-01-10T16:35:33+0000  by rdbunch

Definitly need anchors. I'll go pick up some of those togglers! Thanks!

Posted 2013-01-10T20:12:52+0000  by rdbunch

Glad to hear that you figured out whether the wall was hollow or not. 

It takes a little bit more of your time but it is worth it to know that your TV is safely mounted to the wall.

Let us know if you have any other questions. The community is here to help. :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-01-11T19:17:05+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+