Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Installing a Heavy Mirror

A neighbor gave us a mirror he had removed from his bathroom wall.  It's probably around 5 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide and very heavy.  It is unframed, although it has pieces of wood glued on the front to give the appearance of a frame.  

I want to hang the mirror on a bedroom wall.  We used a glue that was recommended by our local hardware store to glue the mirror onto a piece of plywood.  (We were unable to remove the dried glue that was already there from when the mirror was glued to the bathroom wall.  However, the plywood seems to be glued on pretty securely).  We then purchased an interlocking hanging bracket which holds up to 200 pounds.  One bracket is screwed into two studs in the wall and the other is screwed into the plywood on the back of the mirror, and the two interlock.  We mounted the mirror on the wall and it seemed pretty secure.  However, I was not convinced that it would be sturdy enough and it made me so nervous that we immediately took it down again.

We have two toddlers, and given the immense weight of the mirror and plywood I'm very concerned about what would happen if it ever fell.  Is there anything else we could do to make it more secure?  Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-06T19:55:01+0000  by Jekkajuice Jekkajuice

Hello Jekkajuice.  Welcome to the Community!

It sounds to me that what you have as an "interlocking mount" is what is called a french cleat.  These are indeed strong mounts, especially on the wall side when securely attached to studs.

The plywood side may be a different matter, in that it is fairly thin.  The mounting screws have to be fairly short and are not nearly as strong as the wall side.  In addition, not only is the mirror and plywood combination very heavy, but you are now relying on that mirror glue to carry all of the mirror weight.

What I would want to do is find a way to support the mirror and plywood from the bottom, and then use a pair of small, removable brackets high up on the sides to prevent the mirror from going anywhere.  The mirror bottom is too thick to use a "J" channel made for mirrors, but a long block of wood securely attached to wall studs can be used to form a ledge that the mirror bottom can sit on.  This wood can be painted to match either the wall color or the mirror frame color, and its thickness needs to be at least as much as the plywood and mirror combined.  In this way, if either the mirror to plywood glue failed, or the cleat failed, the mirror would still have nowhere to go.  The 2 small brackets on the upper wall, one on each side of the mirror, would keep it from pulling away at the top.  They would not carry any load otherwise, and as such can be fairly small, using wall anchors to hold them in place.  I have not found any ready-made brackets thick enough to do this, but modified large conduit hangers from the electrical department might just do the trick.

They look like this, and if you cut them where I indicated they would make a good side clamp.  If primed first they are paintable as well.

Chris.

Posted 2015-08-07T20:48:03+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+