Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing a TV mount/rack on a plaster wall

I want to mount a TV with a  TV mount onto a plaster wall.  I have a basic all-in-one tool set with a battery-powered drill, so I don't know if that will be enough or whether I need to get something stronger.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-07T17:37:51+0000  by jugghayd jugghayd

Hi Jugghayd,

Your basic tool set and drill will be fine. Be sure to locate the studs when hanging your TV mount. Modern flat screen TV’s are thin but still quite heavy. Many weigh over 50 pounds so be sure to buy a good quality mount.

Stud finders are very inexpensive now and will worth the cost to help locate the studs in your wall.

If you don’t have a stud finder, a good rule of thumb is to measure 16 inch out from the nearest corner, at that point there should be a stud. Tap a nail into the wall and see if you are on the right point.

If you’re off try to the left an inch or so until you find the first stud. From there measure out another 16 inches and you should be on the next stud.

Don’t worry about the nail holes you can fill them by rubbing a bar of soap over the hole. The soap will fill it in and no spackle will be necessary.

If your mounts brackets don’t align with the studs, you can use heavy duty wall anchors, or attach a small sheet of plywood to the wall, attach the plywood to the studs and then attach the TV mount to the plywood. You can paint the plywood the same color as the wall and it will not be noticed.

Once you have located the studs and are ready to mount the brackets drill a small pilot hole for each screw. This allows the screw to drive in all the way without splitting the wood or the plaster and make the job of installing the screws easier on your drill.

When you’re all done, you can sit back and enjoy your new TV. Send us some photos of the finished project.

Mike,

Posted 2013-01-07T20:09:54+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+