Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Installing a doorbell extension (2nd bell, Westminster chime)

Looking for some help.  House is two story with finished basement.  One doorbell isn't enough to hear throughout the house.  Current configuration is a wired two tone bell with a wireless extension that is activated by the sound of the wired bell.  I have two problems with that.  One, every time my dogs bark near the sensor, the wireless bell goes off and two, it just plain doesn't look good.

I would like to install a 2nd wired Westminster chime doorbell that operates from the same front door button such that both the two tone and the Westminster sound simultaneously.  Back yard is fenced, thus no backdoor button is required.  I would also like to be able to install that Westminster in the cutout in place of the original (two tone) bell and move the original to the basement.  There is a 6 or 8 small gauge conductor cable that runs from the doorbell, passes by the original doorbell location and terminates in the basement utility room at the original transformer.

My initial thought was to use the same doorbell button with two complete doorbell circuits (bell and transformer) wired in parallel to the button (rudimentary text diagram below).

Searched internet tirelessly for information but can only find links to products that do not fit my needs and diagrams for a single bell, dual button set up.  Can anyone help please?

-----------|                | --------------------------------|              | -----------------------------|                   |-----

115V     |  Xformer |   16v                                  | button                                 16v   |  Xformer | 115V

----------- |                |------------| Chime |------- |               |----------| bell |----------- |                  |-----

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-03T15:25:40+0000  by GJohnstonUSN GJohnstonUSN

Hello ArchieBla.  Welcome to the Community!

Sorry about the delay in replying to you.

If the light on a doorbell switch is getting hot, it is getting too much voltage.

Well, a 30va transformer is larger than normal for a doorbell.  I would suspect that it has a number of taps on it, each rated at different voltages.

Transformer.jpg

Take a look at where you have it hooked up.  Cut it back to the 16 volt tap, (at most).

Using the example pictured above, the 16 volt tap would use the center and right side terminals.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-08-14T20:34:53+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

I wired my chimes like the diagram and replaced my 10 va transformer with a 30 va. Everything works fine but the button (lighted) is very hot to touch. What can I do?

Thanks,

Archie

Posted 2012-08-06T02:30:25+0000  by ArchieBla

Find Westminster door bell through an incredible number of locations around the world. chimecity helps you finding new exciting locations in your city, thanks to wireless door chimes an formula that examines individuals action on social networking sites.

Posted 2012-06-15T16:50:03+0000  by harunpark

Find Westminster door bell through an incredible number of locations around the world. chimecity helps you finding new exciting locations in your city, thanks to wireless door chimes an formula that examines individuals action on social networking sites.

Posted 2012-06-15T16:49:02+0000  by harunpark

Hey Tom4, I just want to say that you rock! I drew this diagram a year ago, and saved it, just in case... (you never know when you might need a door chime wiring diagram!). So thank you for bringing this thread back to life!

The following diagram will work with a 'heavy duty' door transformer, otherwise you will need a double pole door button and that is going to be slightly harder to find!

door bell diagram.jpg

I hope this helps Tom4, If you need any more help or explination please let me know!

-Blake

Posted 2011-11-30T01:31:02+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy
I'm having the same problem. I want to use two doorbell fixtures so that I can hear the front and back door rings from way upstairs. Could it be just the amount of voltage as the problem? I would like to see a diagram how to do this. Thanks so much.
Posted 2011-11-07T03:02:56+0000  by Tom4

Hi there GJ Johnston USN, I'm Blake from Home Depot out here in California, I hope I can help! 

The issue with your diagram is that the button (momentary switch) that you are working with is a single pole switch. If you are going to run two separate circuits you will need a double pole switch. Which has a separate In and Out for each circuit.

An easier way to do this would be to buy a heavy duty transformer 16V 30W, and wire the two chimes in parallel.  

From the front door button, run a dedicated line out to each chime, then from each chime run a dedicated line back to the transformer, again you will have to have a heavy duty transformer for this, and I would suggest only using two tone chimes as the 4 or 8 tone chimes pull more wattage. 

As previously stated the easiest way would be to go with a wireless chime system, where you can tune both chimes to the frequency of a single button. You will also be able to use Westminster chimes with this system. 

**Safety Note** before starting your work kill the power going to your transformer by unplugging it (for plug in models only) or by shutting down the circuit at the main breaker panel (direct wire models). Be sure that power is actually off by using a voltage detector that you have previously tested on a known-live circuit. Also double check that all of your chimes and transformer are 16V (not 10V). 

Good luck GJ Johnston USN, let me know if you want a basic wiring diagram.

-Blake

Posted 2010-11-04T19:32:55+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hey GJohnson.

I see your dilemma, and after further review I think I have come up with the best solution. Because the extension is noise activated, and dog barking is doorbell activated, then the extension has got to go.

The wireless doorbells come with universal buttons, so you could just use two wireless doorbells, one upstairs and one downstairs, with one button.

OR

As long as there is not a break in the circuit, then you could just wire the doorbells together.

button____________doorbell_________________doorbell

OR

doorbell___________button__________________doorbell

If I had to run a second set of wires for the second doorbell, then I might look at the first option. I hope I was able to clear things up a little. We are glad to have you as a member of the community and part of our online Home Depot family.

Posted 2010-11-04T14:42:46+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+