Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Installing a floating cork floor

I am planning on installing a floating cork floor in a second floor room.  I am trying to find out how I would go about leveling the floor and weather or not I would need a special subfloor.  Any healp at all on this topic would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-29T21:08:24+0000  by RFAurora RFAurora

Hello RFAurora,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

The first thing I would do to prepare your new cork floors to make sure your subfloor is secured to the floor joists or frame members. Once this is done, you can ascertain how much floor leveling you will need.

After cleaning the subfloor and viewing where and how much leveling compound you'll need, you can now move onto leveling it.

We sell floor leveling compound that is easy to apply and it seek its own level once it is properly applied. After using floor leveling primer ( a needed step), you can set the leveling compound down with a patching trowel.

LevelQuik 50 lb. Rapid-Setting Self-Leveling Underlayment

Again, as long as your existing subfloor is structually sound, but needs just a little leveling in some spots, then you can easily place your new cork flooring over it.

Just make sure the underlayment you use is suitable and of high quality to use.

Let us know if this has assisted you, and we hope to hear from you soon,

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-01T14:30:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

The Millstead Cork Floors that Home Depot sells do not require a separate underlayment since they have a built-in cork underlayment.  You do need to use Polyethylene film as a moisture barrier.  It is recommended you lay two layers crossways to one another for the best protection. The Roberts Moisture Barricade Underlayment (Model 70-115, Sku # 628-078) is stocked in all the stores and meets the requirements.

Posted 2013-06-05T19:51:32+0000  by S-P-M

Hey S-P-M,

Thanks for joining us on the community!

You are correct in the Millstead Cork being one of the providers for our cork floors.

The Barricade underlayment you speak of is shown below and as you say, works great for blocking moisture over concrete (but not wood which isn't needed) subfloors.

" target="_self">Roberts Moisture Barricade 120 sq. ft. 12 ft. x 10 ft. Underlayment

Only use this over slab subfloors and not wood. The wood won't have issues with moisture, and in cases like this customer where it is 2nd floor, it wouldn't be necessary. Plus if you did place this over a wood subfloor, mold and mildew can have a chance to grow.

Thanks again for joining us S-P-M and we hope to hear from you again.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-05T20:40:05+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi Joesph--

Actually the requirements for Millstead cork floors are different than our wood floors which only require a moisture barrier when installing over concrete.  The cork floors require the moisture barrier over all sub-floors (wood and concrete).  The applicable section from the  Millstead Cork Flooring Installation Instructions follows:

Moisture Protection: All types of subfloors require insulation against moisture • Use PE film with minimum thickness of 0,2 mm (.008) • On ground/basement subfloors we recommend laying 2 layers crossways for better protection.

Thanks.

Posted 2013-06-05T20:55:24+0000  by S-P-M

Hey again S-P-M,

Depending on what cork floor the consumer purchases will determine if they would need to place a moisture barrier over their wood subfloor.

While it is recommend for Millstead Cork floors, other manufacturers may not have it as a specific requirement. This holds true for any glue down installations of cork.

Thanks for showing us the installation specs.

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-08T15:07:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+