Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing a hardwired fire alarm

Looking for advise...need to install two hardwired fire alarms...have battery operated now. Want to have them interconnected but without the work of breaking through walls. There is a Kidde Wireless system but not sure how it works. Looks like you can install two of them and that would be fine but not sure. Anyone have some experience with this?
Thank you
MG
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-18T16:53:15+0000  by howdy howdy

Howdy howdy.

The interconnected fire alarms from Kidde are designed so you could add more fire alarms to your existing system. You will need for one of your alarms to be hardwired. I was reading the reviews on homedepot.com and all the people gave them great reviews but they all added them to an existing system or wired 1 of them and not the rest. If there is a basement or some place to easily wire one of them then it can act as the mothership for the others and you wont have to wire them all. These alarms communicate wirelessly where when one goes off, they all go off.

This still sounds like the best option because at least you would have to wire one of them. I'm Greengiant. If you have any other questions feel free to hit me back here on the community.

fire alarm.jpg

Posted 2012-08-19T17:11:00+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
Howdy Greengiant,
This is great info. So I can buy one and hardwire it in the basement and place an additional one upstairs outside the bedrooms. This second one upstairs does not need to be hardwired? Currently do NOT have a hardwired system.

Thank you
MG
Posted 2012-08-20T15:37:04+0000  by howdy

Hey howdy.  Welcome to the Community BTW!

I think that the easiest way to accomplish what you want is to hardwire one RF unit like the item greengiant shows above in the basement, and use battery powered RF units elsewhere in the house.

Problem.PNG

Alarm Diagram.PNG

In the diagram above, the "Wireless AC Alarm" would be the Model # 1279-9999 at homedepot.com.  The battery powered "Wireless DC Alarm" is not available online, but both models should be available as special order items at you local Home Depot store.  The special order SKU for Kidde is 198-092.  You will need this number to place an order for these items.

Wireless.PNG

What Kidde refers to as the Model RF-SM-AC is the same thing as the Model # 1279-9999.

Here is a link to the pdf format User's Guide for this smoke alarm.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-08-21T16:45:56+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+