Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

Installing a new wall outlet

I'm hanging my flat screen on the wall and want to install/add a new outlet about 5ft above an existing outlet. Can I piggyback off the existing outlet or do I need to run all new wire to the fuse box? I want to make sure its to code, but would like to do this the simplest way possible.

Any and all suggestions are encouraged. Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-17T16:01:15+0000  by gushubble gushubble

Dear Gushubble,

Welcome to the Home Depot Forum Community.  This is the place you can find the answers to the "do it yourself" questions you have, and one's you might not even know you had.

It's great to be able to do your own home improvements and know not only are you saving money, but the satisfaction of knowing you've done it yourself it a reward too.

Please be advised that instructions given on the online forums may not be correct or in some instances comply with your local electrical codes.  A local licensed electrician should be your first and final choice.  The reason is because just about every city has it's own electrical code and depending on your location, a permit might be required.

This might save you time and frustation to contact your local city hall and find out what the code is for electrical work of your kind.  It might be wise to call a state licensed electrician to give you a quote as well.  You may find out that you can do this without a permit and both city and/or eletrician may answer your initial question correctly.

We've all learned that taking the correct steps may not always be the easiest, but usually turns out to be the most cost effective, especially when dealing with: electrical, gas, and plumbing.

Yours Respectfully,

Best Answer

Posted 2011-02-17T16:43:35+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

i do not understand the term "piggyback", but you could run some wire from the existing outlet to a box above it and install another outlet on the same circuit..

First check the existing outlet.  If it has aluminum wire don't use it to pickup from.

If it has copper wire, find out what size.  Use the same size to feed your new outlet. 

After you finish messing up,call an electrician and get the job done right so you don't have a fire hazzard.

Posted 2012-08-09T22:55:25+0000  by hirouk

"The reason is because just about every city has it's own electrical code and depending on your location, a permit might be required."

NO, that is not the reason.  Every city is under the National Electrical Code which is ... National... as in, same rules for the whole nation.

The reason is that it is very easy to screw up even the simplist electrical installation and the person most likely to screw it up is the one who thinks he can ask a simple question and do it himself.  A screw up on an electrical installation is a fire hazzard and not worth the few bucks saved by doing it yourself.

Posted 2012-08-09T23:00:44+0000  by hirouk

hirouk, I'm sorry to inform you that that is an incorrect statement.   Yes it is called The National Electrical Code but every city is different....

The National Electrical Code Handbook states:

Section 90.4  Enforcement

The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

( which means they can change it if they want to)

And yes, I have talked to numerous people about doing electrical projects and they have all been fine. 

Posted 2012-08-11T17:21:53+0000  by AAriondo

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+