Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Answered

Installing a nightlight next to a ceiling Fan/Light switch

Hello. I am having trouble connecting this Cooper LED nightlight next to my current Hampton Bay ceiling fan remote switch:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/electrical_accessories/full_led_nightlight_7737.html

switch wiring.jpg

Our original fan was controlled by two switches, one for the fan and one for the light. When it broke we replaced it with a Hampton Bay fan which is control by remote, so those two black wires sticking out on the left used to connect to the fan control, but haven't been connected to anything since. I don't know what those three white wires that go to that flat, black think are. I'mpretty sure that plain copper wire over to the left is a ground.

Anyway, when I try to insert the nightlight into the loop, then the nightlight works but the fan/light doesn't work, even though the remote still gets power as indicated by the red LED whenever I push a button on the remote. Am I going to need to install another power wire for this to work?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-25T18:54:16+0000  by primehalo primehalo

Hi there Primehalo, I’m Blake and I will be your guide through the rigors of wiring. Let me get some safety stuff out of the way before we go into detail on how to make this setup work.

SAFETY NOTE: The wiring diagram is in no way universal and applies only to this individual instance. Before you work on wiring devices, turn off the circuit breaker(s) or remove fuses associated with all circuits being worked with. Always check wires with a voltage detector before touching them. Your voltage detector should be tested on a live circuit first to confirm that it is functional before use. Mark the circuit breaker panel or fuse box panel as “BEING SERVICED DO NOT TAMPER”. If you feel that you lack the knowledge or skill to complete this project please call an electrician. Please be sure you have read and understand the installation instructions for your devices.

Non-Contact Voltage Detector.jpg

Before I give you my prognosis I want to confirm that as the circuit is hooked up in your picture, the fan is fully functional, if this is not the case please do not attempt any repair, let me know, and I will go into detail as to why that may be the case.

The fan control and night light need to be wired independently of each other. Meaning that the night light will need its own dedicated Hot (black), and Neutral (white). I have attached a wiring diagram that shows the correct wire connections to accomplish this. Note that you will need to cut the white wires free from the black wire splicer that is currently connecting those white (neutral) wires, so that another neutral lead can be wired into the night light. Also note that we are using a black (hot) lead from the red wire nut to supply power to the night light. All white wires (neutrals) are spliced together. All ground wires (bare copper or green sheath) are spliced together.  Also please note that one black conductor which previously lead to the fan will no longer be used (this should be capped and taped and rolled up into the electrical box with enough wire left to splice into if needed at a later point. All connections should be made with appropriately sized wire nuts, note that for your neutrals you should have a wire nut with capacity to connect 4-14gauge wires.

Custom Wiring Diagram.jpg

I sincerely hope this is helpful to you Primehalo. Please let me know if this works, or if you need any clarification on anything.

-Blake

Best Answer

Posted 2011-10-25T23:07:37+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Thank you very much! I followed your diagram and got it working without any problems.

Posted 2011-10-27T01:39:23+0000  by primehalo

Hey Primehalo, its awesome to hear from you again, especially since you are up and running now! Those in box nightlights are actually pretty cool, I havent come across any in my travels yet, but it seems like a clever adaptation of the old lighted switch (although I can imagine they are significantly brighter). It is a very tidy way to integrate a night light into your room without taking up any outlet plugs or getting knocked onto the floor. 

Hey, when it's time to tackle the next project you know where to find us, don't be a stranger! :smileyvery-happy:

-Blake

Posted 2011-10-27T21:00:15+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+