Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Installing ceiling fans and pendent lights

Good Morning all, I would like to install a Ceiling fan on a covered porch,It needs to be installed at a Angle because the way Ceiling joist Run.Can anyone tell Me what special I will need? Thank You

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-03T11:01:54+0000  by Usinbadu Usinbadu

I'm a little confused when you say "the way the ceiling joist run."  Is the ceiling angled like a cathedral ceiling?  If so, many fans can be installed on sloped ceilings but depending on the size of the fan and the angle of ceiling you may need to install a short downrod to give the blades clearance.  Once you've settled on a fan you like, read the owners manual it will give you the information you need to select the correct down rod.

If your porch isn't finished, use need to use a fan rated for "damp locations."

Remember too that fans need to installed with special fan rated junction boxes that are attached securely to the structure of your porch.

Posted 2013-07-03T14:02:01+0000  by Adam444

Hey Adam, Thanks for Reply.I should had been More Clear.This is an old Farm House,I recently Screen in the whole back Porch.I should have said The roof Rafter are exposed(Where i want to mount fan in between Joists)  they come off main roof at a 6/12 pitch.My main Ques.was do i need a Special "DownRod" it will have to be Short or do they make them bent&Will i need any Special Hardware to mount this Ceiling Fan at an angle?Thanks for any advice Kenneth

Posted 2013-07-03T15:05:49+0000  by Usinbadu

Hey Usinbadu,

Since Adam didn't answer your question, I thought I'd chime in for him.

Depending on the type of ceiling fan you buy will determine if you need a different canopy housing (the part that holds the fan into the ceiling) or downrod.

Most of our Hampton Bay and Hunter ceiling fans come with a canopy that can withstand about 35 degrees of pitch to the ceiling. It's really that, and not the downrod that determines how well it will perform on the sloped ceiling. You'd just need to make sure the downrod you use has enough length so it doesn't hit the ceiling.

If you let us know what kind of fan you would like to use, let us know. Only then will we be able to tell you if we can get a solution for you.

Keep us updated.

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-17T20:13:03+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+