Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing recessed lighting in kitchen

Hi,

I am going to try to install recessed lighting in my kitchen. Problem is there is no attic space above me because this is a 2 story home. My question is how do I wire my lighting without ripping down half my ceiling? Also what sort of product is there I can use to drill holes to the other joists to run the wiring.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-24T16:12:14+0000  by jjlara30 jjlara30

Hello jjlara30,

Thank you for your question. When it comes to wiring your lighting, I would recommend that you consult with a local licensed electrician, since electrical codes can vary depending on where you live. Also, electrical work is very dangerous and easy to make mistakes on.

We have some general guidance regarding electrical projects on the How-To section of our website. Feel free to click on the link below and see if your answer can be found there.

http://bit.ly/elecHTC

Thank you again for your question and welcome to the community.

Tia

Posted 2010-11-24T17:44:04+0000  by HomeDepotTia

What kind of ceiling do you have? Drywall, plaster, wood? Do you have floor trusses or floor joists.  Where does the power come from to feed the lighting? How many fixtures are involved, and what is the spacing. When these questions are answered, you will have a better idea of what kind of damage has to be done to your ceiling in order to achieve your goal. There are remodel fixtures available where no blocking in needed to install the fixtures.  A drywall ceiling would  be the easiest to work with. Cut a hole for each fixture to fit into, then run the wire parallel with the joists first. Cut an approximately 1/2" slot in the drywall, assuming that the fixtures are in a straight line, and notch the joists. Place a protective nail plate over the wire at each joist. Wire the fixtures and install. Finally, mud, tape and finish the slot or slots in the ceiling.

Posted 2010-11-25T16:36:17+0000  by highinspect

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+