Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Installing tubular light bulbs with switch box

Hello..I recently started refurnishing an antique Caswell-Runyan beauty cabinet. The photos I found online of others show that there is supposed to be two tubular lights on each side of a centered mirror. The tubular lights are attached to the underside of the cabinets top and have a small switchbox located next to them. I just wanted to know what I need to purchase or what tutorials I could view to help with the installation of both the tubular light bulbs and the switch box.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-11T19:02:41+0000  by luciouslu luciouslu

Hello luciouslu.  Welcome to the Community!

The light bulbs appear to be standard tubular bulbs which are widely available in both antique style or models made for appliances like refrigerators.   The problem will be with finding a light fixture to screw the bulbs into.  A bit of antique shopping will be required to find something that will work here, as current light fixtures use a mount made for electrical boxes.  Your cabinet is not setup that way.

All the other electrical parts you need are easily found.  A standard switch box, switch, face plate, cord connector and extension cord will be all you need.  The electrical Project Guides on homedepot.com will show you how to hook up items like these.  You can find them here:  Project Guides

As I said, first off is to find a light fixture that resembles what has been installed in these cabinets.

Chris.

Posted 2015-04-14T16:37:25+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
What exactly would you search for if say  you were looking on ebay or an antique store. I just don't know what to call that type of fixture.

Thanks!
Posted 2015-04-20T18:01:15+0000  by luciouslu
For on-line searches I would try the following:

cabinet light
cabinet light fixture
under cabinet light
curio cabinet light
beauty cabinet light

Posted 2015-04-21T15:33:46+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+