Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing window AC

Im installing a window AC this year. When i got everything setup and running i noticed bugs starting to come in the house. There is a space between the two windows when the bottom window is up. How would i fix this problem because i dont want my house having giant mosquitoes everywhere!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-30T20:58:56+0000  by muffspring18 muffspring18

Hello muffspring18 and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.

There may be a simple and inexpensive solution for you that will keep you mosquito-free.  The Project Guide: Installing a window air-conditioner shows the large gap between the partially open lower sash and the window.   

AC page 1.jpg

AC page 2.jpg

Your window air conditioner may have come with foam weather stripping that you can use.  At the store there is a special air conditioner weather strip that is designed for the large gap created by window-mounted units.   You will increase the operating efficiency of your air conditioner, save money on cooling costs, and keep out the flying freeloaders.

weatherstrip.jpgac weatherstrip.jpg    

Make sure that you have removed any existing mosquitoes that may have tried to set up shop in your home.  If necessary, use a fogger or sprays and follow all safety precautions for best results. 

Please keep us posted on your project and best wishes for a bug-free summer!

Posted 2011-05-31T14:52:15+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

if the normal foam pices do not work.  You can buy several kinds of caned foam sealer at home depo.  it will expand and fill all the spaces then dry and harden.  it might not look great but it worked for my window AC. 

Posted 2011-06-01T00:00:47+0000  by glenab16

This may seem like a really silly question, but we're considering purchasing a window air-conditioner for our home. However, all of the units we've looked at sit horizontally in the window. Our windows are all vertical (that is, they are taller than they are wide). Would we be able to install the unit sideways in the window? Or would that cause problems when operating it?

Thanks!

Posted 2011-06-01T17:17:36+0000  by mpiper

Hi Mpiper, thanks for being part of our community! Unfortunately AC units are picky and don’t like to sit on their sides. Doing so would break an AC unit very quickly.

But not to fear! There is another way. For this reason I have transitioned over to portable air conditioners in my own house. Portable air conditioners are contained inside the room, and are free standing. All that is required is to put run an exhaust duct hose to the window, this hose clips into a bracket which is highly adjustable in size. With this system you can stay cool during hot months and easily slide the unit into a coat closet for the colder months.

you can browse our portable AC selection here

I have used mine for a few years now and have been very happy with the performance.

I hope this helps Mpiper!

-Blake

Posted 2011-06-01T21:43:18+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+