Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Installing wood laminate over ceramic tile

We just bought a brand new house. Love the house but hate the ceramic tile. We are thinking of installing wood laminate over the tile since ripping the tile is very expensive. thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-16T03:40:12+0000  by rtflores rtflores

Hey there rtflores, 

Thanks for joining our community!~

Normally, it's good practice to start from a clean subfloor, but that's not always do-able in some cases. For your instance, I will say that I have indeed seen it done before. The main thing that you'll want to do is make sure that your tile is in good shape and all firmly attached to the subfloor, because it's about to become a subfloor itself. 

Now to me, I would fill in the grout joints with a Self-Leveling Compound and have everything be level, but if your grout joints are relatively shallow (less than 1/8th in) then you could get away with putting a thicker padding down and going right over it.

What I would do first off before checking anything else though, is to contact the manufacturer of the laminate that you're looking to purchase, and double checking that they list ceramic as a suitable subfloor. If they do, great! If not however, then you may want to reconsider your battle plan, as you wouldn't want to void your warranty.

Posted 2012-11-16T16:45:58+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+