Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Insulating Basement

Hi, I am adding on in my basement and I have block walls. In some areas I can see signs of moisture on my block. Im confused on what kind of vapor barrier to use. I live in alabama and it really doesnt get cold. So i dont know what should be sufficent in R value.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-28T03:35:41+0000  by bamaboy41 bamaboy41

Hi bamaboy41,


You’d first have to find a way to waterproof/damp-proof the walls before insulation can go in place.


Typically with the block foundation, people opt out to paint the walls with the DRYLOK type of waterproofing paint.


As far as the insulation and vapor barrier goes I would reach out to your local building department and inquire about the insulation Energy code that applies to your area.

Nowadays, they mostly ask for the extruded  polystyrene sheeting to be applied on to the interior walls. Required R value varies and it is solely determined by the geographical location.


Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.



Posted 2013-01-28T16:58:21+0000  by George_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question