Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

Insulating crawl space in a split entry house?

Incrediably cold basement and i have figured out it is the additional crawl space behind our storage closet.  Not a speck of insulation in there.  I covered the crawl door with 3M window covering for now.  My question is, it can't be that hard to install insulation in there, 20 x 6 ft area.  Or should i hire a contractor to do this job?  there isn't any plastic sheeting either on the walls...

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-01T16:22:50+0000  by Jasper1966 Jasper1966

Hi Jasper1966 and welcome to the Community.

There are 2 types of crawl spaces.  You may have either a conditioned crawl space that is heated or one with uninsulated ducts and water pipes; in that case the walls should be insulated.   In a crawl space that is vented to the outside or unconditioned crawl space, one that is not heated or cooled by a furnace or air conditioner you should insulate the floor above your crawl space.

05ad4005-a055-4602-b7a7-83c7a167e80e_1000.jpg2f49faff-ec6c-44c5-9b26-15d6c4e99752_300.jpg

For most people, insulating a crawl space is a do it yourself project.  I have included a link to installation videos that addresses both types of crawl spaces, Conditioned or unconditioned, choose the one that will meet your needs. You can use R-19 or boosed your energy saving by using a R-30, unfaced batts or rolls.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Insulation-Fiberglass/N-5yc1vZbay7

If I your situation differs from the examples shown in these videos and you need further directions please send an email to me.  We can discuss other options.

Charlotte

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am a Home Depot Associate trained and Authorized to help people on the Internet.

Posted 2014-01-02T16:00:06+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Hey Jasper1966.

This is a project that you would have no problem doing, as I am no rocket surgeon and I insulated my entire basement by myself with ease. You can put up a faced insulation that has a vapor barrier on it. You can look on this chart to see what R value you need to use and check out this video to help you decide what's best for you as well.

Hit me back here and let me know what you think.

Posted 2014-01-02T16:23:09+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+