Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Interior Wall Paint Longevity

Hello,

I have a bedroom that has a beautiful bright color.  The last time it was painted was in 1990 in a latex paint by Sears.  The room is in great condition and the shades were always drawn so there are no fade marks from the sun.  I really would love to keep the room the way it is, but was wondering how long/many years can one keep interior wall paint on drywall?  Does it ever 'go bad' on the wall over time?  I'm removing the rugs and placing in hardwood floors and if I did do any changes I would do it before the floors were to go in.

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-23T19:50:03+0000  by MaggieC MaggieC

Hello Maggie C and welcome to the community. I don’t know what you used as far as paint goes in 1990 I was still in high school. Wow I’m showing my age lol. Paint has come a long way since then especially the Behr brand. We have a Behr Premium Plus Ultra which paint in primer in one. It is rated number 1 three years running. You can use anything from eggshell, satin, and semi-gloss it’s just a matter of personal preference.

Here’s an example of what the Behr Ultra Has to offer:

Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior is a Low VOC, Paint and Primer in one that saves time and gives you superior coverage in fewer coats. It's performance driven paint and primer in one formulation features Nanoguard technology with an extra-protective shell that offers excellent stain removal and resistance, outstanding water and scuff resistance, and great touch up, coverage and hide, creating an easy to clean stays looking new longer finish. Choose from the sophisticated Behr Premium Plus Ultra collection of 386 exclusive, designer hues or choose from over 2000 beautiful Behr colors to find your perfect color.

• Ideal for application on walls, trim, doors, windows, cabinets, interior furniture and ceilings formulated for easy application with a nylon/polyester brush or 3/8 -1/2 in. nap roller, depending upon surface texture
  • 100% acrylic latex paint and primer in one base provides exceptional adhesion and durability
  • Eggshell Enamel finish provides a soft, velvety appearance and is a versatile sheen for multiple surfaces
  • A high performance paint and primer in one developed using Behr’s revolutionary Nanoguard technology
  • Scuff and stain resistance

A paint with piece of mind :

LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE

Behr Process Corporation guarantees your satisfaction with the performance of this paint when applied to a properly prepared surface and cared for according to the label directions. This guarantee shall be effective for so long as you reside in your home and is made to the original residential consumer paint purchaser. This guarantee is not transferable. If you are not satisfied with this paint’s performance, Behr Process Corporation will, at its option and upon proof-of-purchase(the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of paint or refund the purchase price of this paint to you.

I hope this information was helpful. Any other questions or concerns you may have do not hesitate to ask. Best Wishes.

Posted 2013-04-23T21:01:08+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

MaggieC,

Your question seems to be, "does paint spontaniously decompose or deteriorate?" The answer is no. It will, however, be affected by conditions it is subjected to. A clean home with little airborne dirt, relatively low humidity, in a well insulated house, not subject to undue sun fading, will see paint last a long , long time.  But real life homes are often filled with little kids, pets, smokers, fireplaces, cooking vapors etc. All these can affect a paint, especially a poor quality paint. Premium paints will resist these factors and will, when neccessary, be washable.

Paint quality is really one place where "penny wise and pound foolish" is appropriate. Avoid those cheap "contractor grade" paints. However, price alone is not always a true indicator of quality. Behr consistently provides quality paint at value pricing. Behr paints consistently are top rated by national testing companies, yet beat the far more pricey big name national brands costing much more!

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-04-24T05:18:50+0000  by ordjen

Hello,  Thank you for the great input.  I have been doing some further research on the Behr website.  Could you please advise any information/further on the Behr Premium Plus brand?  I am interested in this one as I read further than the Ultra due to the no VOC's since I have sensitivity to chemicals due to allergies.  Also, in general which version of Behr is the better paint overall in regards to quality and longevity.  Thank you.

Posted 2013-04-24T20:59:59+0000  by MaggieC

Thank you, ordjen for your reply as well.  Besides using your comments as a factor to refresh my room - it has made me think of the factors to prevent and clean the walls better if/when I repaint.  I think the fact I am placing in new hardwood floors it makes it the appropriate time to refresh the walls.  Thank you.

Posted 2013-04-24T21:01:56+0000  by MaggieC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+