Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Iridescent paint: How can I use paint to get an iridescent look on my plaster walls?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-26T18:53:52+0000  by Lorawena Lorawena

Welcome to our community michaelbechman8!

My name is Christine and I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

Martha Stewart has a faux finish roller that is recommended for applying this product. It comes in both a 9” and 4 ½” size.

Before you start painting, make sure to mask off the area with painters tape.

When applying this product, you will want to work in 20” wide “columns”. This will ensure that you have a nice, thick, consistent, coat of paint on your wall. Starting with the first 20” wide section, “cut in” with the 4 ½” roller where the wall and the ceiling meet, against the opposing wall and against the floor. Make sure to roll slowly to prevent splatter.

Once you have cut- in, switch to your 9” roller and, starting as close to the ceiling, roll the entire column. Make sure you do this while the cut-in areas are still wet. This will ensure that you will have a smooth, even appearance.

Repeat this process every 20 inches. Make sure to overlap the previous column by only ¼ of an inch.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Christine :)

Posted 2013-03-11T15:44:57+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Just purchased a gallon of Martha Stewarts Precious Metals in a silver tone.  Planning on repainting a small bathroom.  Will trimming in around the ceiling with this paint look different than the vast majority of the wall where I plan on using a roller?  Is there a special roller other than the 3/8 inch nap roller mentioned elsewhere in this blog?

Posted 2013-03-08T21:47:57+0000  by michaelbechman8

Hello Lorawena! Great Question!

Yesterday, my Rep placed the new Martha Living Precious Metal, Potter's Clay, and Faux Finishing Glaze in the store.

Here is a picture of the new display. Your project solution can be found here.

MLFaux.JPG

Creating an iridescent look on your plaster walls is as easy as combining ten parts of ML Faux Glaze with one part ML Precious Metal in the color of your choice (traditionally blended at four parts glaze to one part paint for most faux effects).

VPSmpl.JPG BEFORE   AFTER Iridescent.JPG

In this example, done over Venetian Plaster by Behr, I used the glaze blended with metallic gold, then applied the blend using vertical strokes with a throw-away brush. In addition, I applied more with diagonal strokes across the ridges to create stronger accents. You might use a smooth-surface foam roller if you simply want to roll on an even coat.

As you can see above the ML cans in the AFTER example, light will strike the wall and reflect the translucent effect depending upon the angle at which you are viewing the wall. In this case, the gold undertones show through the glaze.

Expect a "point of view" effect ... seen most where natural or man-made light reflects off the surface, but less in areas where the lighting is uniform or in low light.

In a local restaurant, I saw a similar effect. It was made with vertical stripes of translucent glaze over an existing color. The effect was stunning! So be certain to consider alternative applications before you begin.

This project is certainly a "craft," and you can use any ML Precious Metal color to match your decor. I strongly recommend creating sample board(s) to test your ideas.

Finally, we will begin exploring other ML techniques now that her faux products are in the store. So look for more here on the Community in the near future.

Posted 2011-01-27T15:30:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+