Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Is it OK to use Versabond polymer modified thin mortar for mesh mounted mosaic glass tile?

I am planning to install mesh mounted Jeffrey Court Vineyard Glass 12 in. x 12 in. Glass Wall Tile in my bathroom and I wonder is it OK to use Versabond polymer modified thin set mortar for these tiles? There is specific Glass tiles mortar available on HomeDepot.com, but it's like 6 times more expensive then Versabond thin set. Description of Versabond thin mortar states that it will stick to most surfces buit I still wonder how Versabond will hold mosaic glass tiles as they are mesh mounted? 

Thnks,

AD

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-17T10:05:14+0000  by alden alden

It's not a question of if the Versabond will hold the tiles to the wall, it will.  What you don't want to happen is for the tiles to "sag" while the thinset sets up.  Because the mesh that holds the tiles together is somewhat flexible it's possible for the tiles to "squeeze" together resulting in irregular grout lines.

I looked at Jeffrey Court's website and there's no mention of recommended thinsets.  I'm hoping a Home Depot employee will contact the manufacturer for a recommendation.

Posted 2013-12-17T15:00:39+0000  by Adam444

Hello AD and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

The manufacturer of the VersaBond Fortified Thin­Set Mortar recommends that you use the Glass Tile Premium Thin-Set Mortar.  I spoke to the manufacturer of the tile who also confirmed that you should use the premium glass tile mortar for proper setting and installation.  Because of the glass, you will need the premium mortar for the specialty tile. 

Glass Mortar.jpg

The Custom Building Products Glass Tile Premium Thin-Set Mortar (4.2 lb. package) has a maximum coverage area of 15 sq ft. 

Best wishes on your project.

Eileen script.png

Posted 2013-12-17T15:07:43+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+