Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Is it possible to replace the halogen bulbs in track lighting with LED bulbs?

I have track lighting that uses halogen bulbs. Is it possible to replace these bulbs with LED bulbs? The model I have is a Hampton Bay LInear Track Kit. Model EC3470BA. The lighting fixtures use GU10 - 16 bulbs. Is it possible to replace these bulbs with LED bulbs? A quick search on google indicates that this is possible but wanted to confirm.

Also any recommendations on what brand of LED lights to get?

The link is below.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202051371?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202051371&R=202051371#.Ugu-nW3leM4

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-14T17:41:51+0000  by breddy breddy

Hey breddy,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Great news on your GU-10 base halogen fixtures...they can be replaced with newer LED lights bulbs in the same base! I'm assuming you mean the GU10 base bulbs with a MR16 shape.

In fact, these LED GU-10 bulbs were one of the first LED's to hit my store about a year ago. In terms of brands, we carry Feit and Philips in our store. Click on the one below to see if this will work best for you.

Philips 6-Watt (50W) MR16 GU10 3000K (Bright White) LED Flood Light Bulb

We also carry Feit in a 12 pack online as well. In terms of shape, you are getting exactly the same bulb you have before, except now you won't have to change them out for a very long amount of time.

Also, make sure that if this are on a dimmer that the dimmer is rated for LED and CFL lights. Failure to do so will give you unpredictable levels of light from the LED and shorten its life.

Let me know if you have any addtional questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-08-14T20:36:55+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I, too, have the same question, except my Hampton Bay kit was purchased about 9 yrs. ago and I think the bulbs are an MR11 base (MR16?). I'm hoping to replace with a similar LED bulb. Ideas?

Posted 2013-11-04T13:57:52+0000  by yankeeNH

Hey yankeeNH,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

You'll first need to make sure that your light bulbs have the correct size so you can get LED replacements for them. In either case, we do carry the smaller diameter MR11 in LED!

Both bulbs have the same GU5.3 bi-pin base, but knowing the right size is important so that it will fit in your fixture.

Click on the image of it below for more information.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and again thanks for dropping in here on the forums.

Joseph

Posted 2013-11-06T13:28:15+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+