Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Is it worth it?

I am just looking for opinions at this point.  I am curious if it would be considered a worthwhile project to remodel a manufactured home.  We purchased this house 2nd hand.  The previous owner's bought the land, designed the house and had it delivered and set up.  It's been on this parcel for about 15 years.  Anyways, I am guessing it would be considered a Double-Wide as it is over 1800 sq. ft.  I am not digging the color scheme or how cheap it all looks.  I am just curious as to the life expectancy of manufactured homes vs. stick built and if said life expectancy would allow remodeling a worthwhile project. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-27T05:59:04+0000  by Earthmama2010 Earthmama2010

Hello Earthmama2010,

Welcome back to the community.

In my opinion if it is a manufactured home and not a mobile home then yes it would be worth your while to fix and upgrade it.

The average life expectancy of a manufactured home is very similar to a framed house. It's estimated to be approximately 50 years before you really have to start doing all of the major repairs. Keep in mind that if ongoing maintenance has not been kept up then it will need more things done sooner.

If your tired of the color and the cheap looks then a fresh coat of paint and maybe some new faucets in the bathroom and the kitchen would spruce it up a little.

You can add new casing around the windows and doors to add a new feel to the rooms. I added oak casing to all of the windows and doors in my mothers den and living room and it really made it look like a new house.

Add a couple of new throw rugs and couch covers and its like you got new furniture along with the new paint and casing. :smileywink:

Well that's what I think I would do if I were in your place.

It sounds like a lot of fun. It's time to redecorate your home.

Post some before and after pictures. I would love to see them.

I'm sure they would inspire others to do the same.

Posted 2011-07-27T21:47:32+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+