Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Is my lawn dead/dying?

First off: I love Home Depot and love these message boards!

I'm trying to figure out if my lawn is a lost cause. We had new sod about 8  months ago, and spent a good 3-4 months letting it grow before cutting it regularly (it was beautiful then! Very green, very plush). We then probably waited too long to cut it and it started yellowing in some spots, then a few more spots that looked like Bermuda grass came up. We kept going as we were, watering 2-3 times a week, thinking it would come back to normal. We also fertilized about a month ago with a Scott's all-grass-type fertilizer. 

We had a HOT week last week in Sacramento (100+ for 5 days) and over the weekend the grass just seemed to get sadder than ever.  Very dry and brittle, and I'm not sure if there is anything we can do at this point. I should mention our lawn does not get much sun, as our neighborhood and yard have several trees shading it all day. We've been watering it every other day, and now I'm thinking it's too much. Is there anything I can do at this point?

grass2.jpg

grass.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-15T05:09:42+0000  by averymck averymck

Hi averymck,

I'm Travis from The Home Depot in Atlanta. Welcome to the community!!

No lawn is ever a "lost cause". Every lawn is affected by it's surroundings. All grasses need sun to grow. More shade will inhibit grass growth to varying degrees.

From your pictures, I can see that grass further away from the walk way is doing better than the grass closer to the front door. I also noticed that the concrete looks new. Could the soil under the new sod have been compacted by the concrete workers? If so, aerate the lawn to allow water to penetrate more deeply, helping the root system grow deeper.

The sod was happy for the first few months with shallow watering, especially before the weather turned hot. Now the grass is depending on deeper roots to be able to survive hotter temperatures. If the soil under the sod is compacted, the water may run off without penetrating, denying access to the grass roots.

There is no need to fertilize again until fall. Aerate now to maximize your benefit from water. Continue watering 2 to 3 times per week for 30 minutes at a time in the mornings. Mow your lawn every week. This promotes growth and fights weeds by preventing flower blooms from developing.

You didn't mention what type of grass you sodded, I assume it was not Bermuda. Fescue is more shade tolerant, but probably can't take the heat in Sacramento.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helped.

LawnRanger

Posted 2011-07-15T12:37:46+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+