Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Is there a special part to use when changing a new toilet from a really old one?

I have a house that was built in 1900 and the toilet is in 3 pieces. The base of the toilet is nearly 2 ft long x 8 inches wide. The tank is bolted to the wall and there is a large pipe that connects the two pieces together. I want to replace it with a new toilet that is only 1 or two pieces that fit together. The water fill pipe comes up through the floor behind it. I heard there was some special part for the toilet drain system that has to be used when replacing such old plumbing. I don't knnow what it is called or how it is installed. Do you install a toilet before or after you put down a new floor?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T14:40:07+0000  by cdunbar9191 cdunbar9191

Hey cdunbar9191,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

In the context of toilet repair, the items I think you are requesting are actual fairly common and straightforward for installation.

Almost all toilets we sell are in 2 pieces, the bowl and tank. You typically install the floor first, and then stop or cut around about an inch from the wax ring itself. Even if the toilet was okay, it would still need to be removed so that new floors can be successfully be placed down.

As long as your existing valves are okay, your new toilet will have the necessary parts inside of it to hook everything up successfully.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-15T19:10:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+