Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Is there a technique to blend two colors on a wall?

My daughter is planning on her theme of her room to have a fantasy/night theme and her colors consisted off a purple and a blue. 

She was telling me how she didn't want her colors to be cut off and if there was a way to 'shade' or 'blend', the colors. Funny how lost my face looked and so I decided to come here. I know there has to be a way to do this doing this by ourselves without a painter coming in. Is there any methods out there that can accomplish this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-28T03:23:28+0000  by Psantana51 Psantana51

Welcome to the community!

I am sorry that someone didn't answer your question sooner.  I hope you are still in the midst of the project and I might be able to help.

The first thing you will want to do is paint the two colors on the wall as if they are going to intercept.  The line where they meet doesn't have to be perfect or straight - just touching.  Do this until the whole room is painted.

Now the fun starts! :smileyvery-happy:

With two brushes, brush each color into one another side by side and blending on the line in between.  Sort of fading into each other while the paint is wet.  Quickly take a third brush (dry) and gently soften that union until it fades into each other.

It's kind of hard to describe, but once you get started you will see the results and it will make sense.

Hope this helps.paiintpro.JPG

Posted 2012-09-30T14:12:30+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hello PSantana!

During one of our recent "Do It Herself" workshops, we demonstrated faux finishing and created the image below.

Gratitude Attitude.jpg  Faux Glaze.jpg

When you describe the deep blue to violet sunset-fade your daughter wants for her room, this image came to mind.

As you can see, the deep blue base color is almost solid and the upright blue hash marks tip slightly over the blue edge into the red ... helping smooth the hard edge and create a softer transition.

The faded red sky was created by blending four-parts faux glaze with one-part ML Pomegranate Glitter specialty paint.

The faux glaze makes the paint more see-through and allows the color to appear both dense and very thin in the same brush stroke ... creating a transition effect.

On your daughter's wall, you can use this same technique to create the transition between your two colors.

HOW TO: Reference the sunset photo below and choose which color will be your land and which will be your sky.

Sunset.jpg

You may actually choose to purchase several more half-pint color samples when you look carefully at this image.

Build a base, representing land, on the lower third of your wall with full-strength paint. Create an irregular upper edge using a faux glaze/paint mixture of the same color.

Next, build a base on the upper third of your wall with an irregular faux glaze/paint lower edge that fades away as you approach the middle of the image.

Between the two, and right over top of the upper color, you'll begin your faux transition with at least one or two other colors mixed with faux glaze. I see both yellow and red in this sunset ... try to emulate nature in your color selection.

And, allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next color.

Finally, continue to lightly layer your fade by dabbing off your paint brush on a cotton terry towel before going to the wall. This will reduce the amount of the faux glaze/paint mixture that is applied and will add a more natural, blended-color transition. Continue reducing the amount on your brush to apply smaller and smaller wisps of color as your transition nears completion.

NOTE: If you take pictures of your local sunset or select a photo she saw in a book, nature will tell you exactly what you should see on her wall. You may even choose to project an image onto the wall and rough-in an outline with pencil.

APPLICATORS: Faux tools include virtually anything that will transfer paint onto your wall and create a texture or design that matches your imagined appearance. Try foam brushes, sea sponges, terry towels rolled up into a donut-shape, or even the hand-prints of numerous family members and friends (wear gloves if you like).

Most of all, remember that this is an art project ... there is no right or wrong.

And, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... in this case, your daughter.

Take your time, turn on some lively music, and above all else, HAVE FUN!!!

Posted 2012-10-02T17:56:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+