Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Is there any way to get rid of a weed called spurge? I have it everywhere, even in my grass.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-25T15:53:56+0000  by bargnjunkie bargnjunkie

Howdy bargnjunkie,

As you have found out Spurge is a scourge. It grows low and spreads from a taproot that can be sunk about 2 feet into the ground.  When the stems or leaves of spurge plants are broken, they ooze a milky sap that can cause dermatitis and eye irritation.  Dense, low-growing mats of spurge foliage can also harbor fire ants, ginger ants, red ants and other insects with a venomous bite or sting.

spurge.JPG

Here is how I deal with Spurge:

1) Remove all spurge you find growing in pots or ground to prevent further seed production. Remember to always wash your hands and forearms thoroughly afterwards. Even if you wearing gloves because the irritation is annoying.

2) Use Scotts Halts Pre-Emergent in early spring to keep as many seeds from germinating.

3) Next I use a weed killer such as: Weed B Gone, Bayer Season Long, or Spectracide Weed Stop during the warmer months.

Spurge can be eradicated if you use these simple steps.

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2013-07-25T18:46:52+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Thanks Coach Dave!

Would you recommend any of these over another for application in my lawn?  That's where I'm having the most trouble.

Thanks again!

Bargnjunkie

Posted 2013-07-25T21:00:03+0000  by bargnjunkie

Howdy bargnjunkie,

I have had the best results with pulling the Spruge out that was visible by hand.

Next I used the Scotts Halts in early Spring.

Halts.jpg

Then when it gets warmer I use Bayer Weed Control to control any weeds that I might have missed.

BayerWeeder.jpg

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2013-07-25T21:47:07+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

:)  Thank you so much!  I'll give this a try!

Posted 2013-07-25T21:50:11+0000  by bargnjunkie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+