Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Is underlayment needed for Allure Flooring?

I recently had a message sent to me by user Doc1, I thought it was so good that I would post it here. 

Here's what Doc wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"First let me see I appreciate anyone taking their time to give answers on here and I am sure you are way more knowledgeable than I am

I question though your suggesting using an underlayment over an existing peel and stick floor before installing a laminate floor

I may have mis read the post

We put the allure 100% water proof trafficmaster down and were told by the mfg,and three people at HD to not use the underlayment but to lay it right over

we even mentioned what about a plastic sheeting and was told no

I apologise if I have mis read your post

That is why I did not reply in the forum I believe it shows you answered a week ago

Thanks agan

Doc1

They call me Doc"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the post you are referring to, but an underlayment is required for laminate flooring systems unless they have a pre-attached underlayment to them. 

I think you may have confused this with TrafficMaster's Allure flooring, which is not laminate but resilient vinyl. What this means is that due to the substrate of the floor, it is less prone to moving or shifting like laminate, which needs a cushioned underlayment. TrafficMaster is our company that makes vinyl, peel and stick vinyl, as well as real wood and laminate flooring systems.

In Allure's case, an underlayment is simply not needed since the product is flexible enough underfoot and acts as its own cushioning. That is why vinyl floors are considered resilient flooring systems: they essentially go back to the original shape after pressure (foot traffic) has been applied. 

Underlayment is still a different matter versus making sure the underside of the Allure is moisture-free. This issue can come up in below grade and in concrete subfloors, a great example of this is a basement floor. At the end of the day, the top surface of the Allure will be waterproof but not water-resistant. In other words, you'll need to make sure you have a clean and dry subfloor first before installing this product. 

I did a write up over a year ago regarding Allure Flooring Accessories. In that post, you'll find items such as moisture proofer sealer and GripStrip Tape alongside other items you may need for your Allure floors.

I've read some of your other posts that this flooring has been down since November of last year. If you haven't ran into any issues yet, other than routine cleaning, I would simply inspect areas each time you clean if any issues come up. From what it sounds like, you have had great success with Allure. 

I hope this has answered your question, and let us know if you have anymore,

aboveaveragejoe

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-09T20:36:35+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey Petranis,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

As long as the Allure was installed at on or above grade (basically not in a basement) and you didn't have a previous experience with moisture being a problem on the slab, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Since Allure is vinyl, any moisture would stay below the planks and not come through the top.

Just check on it periodically in a corner area just to make sure everything is okay. Inspect areas to see if any moisture would be present.

Again, you should be fine as long as the slab isn't in a basement area.

Joseph
Posted 2014-07-04T18:01:49+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
It has come to my attention that my Allure Resilient plank vinyl flooring was installed minus the vapor barrier. It is a bedroom floor installed on level concrete. I live in north Florida and keep my home air conditioned. Should I expect problems? Thank you for your advice.
Posted 2014-07-04T15:06:17+0000  by petrandis

Hello again SDL,

As Jay stated above in this thread, the only approved underlayment is SimpleSolutions Moisturbloc Vapor Barrier Underlayment which is shown below.

SimpleSolutions Moisturbloc 120 sq. ft. 12 ft. x 10 ft. 6-mil Film Vapor Barrier Underlayment

And as Jay already states, anything else (using the FloorMuffler) can and will void your warranty for your Allure floors.

Since Allure as a substrate is vinyl, you'll get the 'cushioning' you want. However, if you would like a thicker material, you can use the higher quality Allure Ultra if you really desire it.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-09-11T12:58:30+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Joseph,  Thanks for the reply.  I understand your rationale.  Should I be willing to spend a little more money for a little more bounce, is FloorMuffler a good choice and one that would not compromise Allure in any way?  I am feeling redundant! :)

Posted 2013-09-04T23:14:18+0000  by SDL

Hey SDL!

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Since Allure and Allure Plus is a resilient vinyl flooring and you are going over concrete, I really think that using FloorMuffler would be redundant.

I would only opt for FloorMuffler if the floor you use is laminate (particle board) or real wood based. Since vinyl essentially is neither of these and is a quiet floor already, you'd be spending money on something that isn't really needed. I say this since you are going over concrete.

Just like the last user, you can seal your concrete to ensure little moisture seeps into it.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and good luck on your new floors!

Joseph

Posted 2013-09-04T13:32:32+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey Anitaslim,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

You do not need to install plastic sheeting over your plywood subfloor before installing Allure. A lot of installers I have spoken to over the years say that using plastic doesn't allow the wood to get rid of any amounts of moisture, which can lead to mold/mildew underneath the plastic.

With that said, you can still paint a primer or sealer down to ensure the wood has some sort of minimum protection. Since the floor will go down in the living room and hallway, you should be encountering very little moisture. Plus, as long as you install the Allure properly, you will have little worry with moisture coming into the subfloor.

I hope this has assisted you, and let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-09-04T13:24:14+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I like the notion of extra quiet and cushioning for my Allure flooring.  Is  FloorMuffler Underlayment (FloorMuffler) acceptable with TrafficMaster Allure Plus Vinyl Plank Flooring (Allure Plus).  I would be placing it over a concrete floor.  The product you note as being acceptable appears only to provide a moisture barrier and not additional padding.  I am ordering 24 boxes of flooring tonight and hope to hear from you soon! :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-09-02T23:58:44+0000  by SDL
I'm about to install allure flooring in my mobile home living room and hallway. Do I need to first put down moisturebloc or some kind of plastic sheeting. I have plywood subfloor.
Posted 2013-04-29T16:14:05+0000  by Anitaslim

Hey there sharpstick,

Thanks for joining our community!~

The only approved underlayment for Allure flooring is a 6-mil vapor barrier, such as this SimpleSolutions Moisturbloc Vapor Barrier Underlayment .

Should you opt to take it upon yourself to us an unapproved underlayment, please bare in mind that you will be voiding the products warranty by doing so. The Allure is a hardy enough floor that it shouldn't need underlayment.

Since you mentioned heat under your floors, you can use a radiant heat system with Allure, however it needs to sit 1/2" below the product and cannot exceed 85 degrees F.

Posted 2012-10-04T19:15:53+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

I am planning to put down Allure in our utility room and kitchen. They currently have old peel and stick, over a layer of thin plywood, over a layer of old linoleum, over tarpaper(?) on an 80 year old pine floor. I suspect there will be several repaired spots, especially where the old water heater was located and leaked over the years.  I will get it as flat and stable as I can.

I have been told that Allure not only does not need underlaymment, but that I should NOT use it. I want to use underlayment to soften the feel of the floor and insulate(sound and heat) a bit.

Is there any reason I can't use UL if I want to?

Posted 2012-10-03T15:58:22+0000  by sharpstick

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+