Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Item # 491-465 HO T5 light fixture

How many item# 491-465 do I need for a 24x24 Garage/shop/gym? HO T5 light fixture. 10 Ft ceilings? And what configuration should I put them in?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-26T01:02:56+0000  by RenHimself RenHimself

If I understand what you are asking, you have the same space that you want to use in three different ways, with three different lighting requirements.  Garages don't require much light.  Generally you're parking a car, walking through, or maybe looking for a box on a shelf.  Gym areas probably don't require a lot of light to actually exercise but I would guess that a bright room might make one more inclined to workout or workout longer.  In a workshop you're going to need not only ambient (overall) light but task lighting as well.  An example of task lighting might be a fixture over a workbench.

So how to position your fixtures is going to be a function of how you use the space.  If you want even lighting over the entire garage, space them evenly.  If you think you're going to need more light in a particular area, then push them together a bit.

Posted 2013-11-27T00:29:37+0000  by Adam444

I get that. I want lots of light for the wood shop area, The question in general is really how many of this specific lighting fixture would it take to light the area properly. these are $70 a piece and $6 bulbs so would like to know what would work best so i dont over do it or overspend on extra lights i dont need..  and config basically strips or lights or in a square around the room or what?

Posted 2013-11-27T01:07:13+0000  by RenHimself

To figure it out you'd really need to look at the photometric data for the fixture and work from there and because these fixtures don't have reflectors, ceiling color is probably going to have a bigger influence than it would otherwise.  Since you probably don't want to spend a day becoming an expert in lighting design you may have to experiment a bit.  

My gut reaction is that three of these fixtures will provide plenty of ambient lighting for the space without being complete overkill.  What I might suggest is to temporarily wire one so it can use an extension cord, then stick it up on the ceiling.  Or have a couple of friends hold it up there and see how the lighting looks.

I've "lit" a couple of workshops and never got it right on the first try.  Usually I ended up adding fixtures.

Posted 2013-11-27T14:43:26+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+